Just pulled the trigger on a 18.5 WSM

Jay Garcia

Well I finally did it...I was contemplating building a UDS or just buying a WSM...cooking some chicken last night on my weber 18" kettle pointed me in the right direction. I ordered my 18.5" WSM and can't wait for it to get here! I've had a pork butt in the freezer just waiting until I got my smoker up and running, looks like the time is near!

Congrats. I got the 18.5 a few months ago. I couldn't justify the 148$ difference to get the 22" smoker. So far It has been fantastic. I have yet to run out of room and my wife keeps pestering me to make another Turkey. I want another brisket! The stresses of married life.

Jay, I've got both, an uds and a wsm. You'll love it, especially for filling up with butts for bbq for friends and neighbors. I've went to bed with the uds and woke up to temps all over the place. Of course, you get too much fat in the fire, anyway.

I do cheat with a Maverick, but it didn't wake me up Friday morning till about 6:30 when the cooker went a little over 275 since the water was pretty low. I use a Brinkman charcoal pan for water instead of the oversized one they now supply, and Stubbs natural briquettes I get from Lowes.

Jay, welcome to the WSM happy users. There are so many of us they should make a forum where we can share our experiences.

Mark

Congrats! I just set up my new 18.5 yesterday. I'm going to break it in this weekend for the 1st time!

Congrats as well, your gonna love the WSM!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and Stubbs natural briquettes I get from Lowes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey Dave,

How long have you been using these? Do you like them? I just got a bag last week and they seem to do good.

Just tracked the package...wont be here until Monday!! I cant wait!!
icon_smile.gif

Congrats Jay! I only hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine! It took about 3 days for mine to arrive, (after ordering)and I couldn't wait to try it out! My only problem was that after my initial smoke,(the ribs were fall off the bone delicious!) we had to pack up and go on vacation for 2 weeks. Got back yesterday, and am already planning a smoke for next week! Don't try to fight the addiction, its just a waist of time!! Good luck!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Don't try to fight the addiction, its just a waist of time!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Resistance is "Futile"

Woohoo!! Got it this afternoon, putting it together and hopefully starting my first butt late tonight with a Chris Lilly rub!!

Back