Just picked up this Baby for 20 bones.

Date code is AD.
If that is the same date code that they use on the Kettle Grill then it should be a 2010.
Is that correct?

First Smokey I have seen in this color. Very cool!
I was very fortunate. It was up for sale for several days before I saw it. Guy said his mother bought it for him. He said he cooked on it once and stored in his garage ever since.

I put a new set of legs on mine and I am going to clean the inside and put a new charcoal grate and grill grate. I plan on restoring mine since it is already in great shape and saving it as a collectors item since you do not see this style and color very often.

Edit: The one thing I did notice though was that the bottom of the Kettle was chipped around some of the holes where the legs connect. Both of my Smokey Joe's have this issue. Is there a way to avoid this flaw. It is a little frustrating that both of mine did that.

Last edited:
I have purchased several handles from him and like them all. He has an interesting variety of offerings including obscure ones like the large front handle for the Platinum One Touch kettle.

@Mike - LA and @Jon Tofte what are your all's thoughts on replacing the OEM Plastic handle with the Wood handles if I am going to be Collecting Smokey Joes. Does this mod hinder the value in the long run. I do not plan on reselling the ones I like but what are your opinions. Anyone else is welcome to chime in on this question it you have any input also.

@Mike - LA and @Jon Tofte what are your all's thoughts on replacing the OEM Plastic handle with the Wood handles if I am going to be Collecting Smokey Joes. Does this mod hinder the value in the long run. I do not plan on reselling the ones I like but what are your opinions. Anyone else is welcome to chime in on this question it you have any input also.
I have no plans to sell unless Jon decides I need his PK Jr one vent then those grills will go, and I kept the original handles. Also I like the handles and that's what I'm going for, my likes. The purest wouldn't want the handle changed, I know due to my rare NOS claw hammer trading business.

Last edited:
@Samuel, I think many kettle collectors also upgrade from the plastic handles. If you had one with a wood handle already and it could be salvaged, I would be for keeping it for its collector value. But plastic handles don't seem to be much appreciated, so I think a classy wood one like @Mike - LA used would actually increase the value of your Smokey Joe. I don't claim to be an expert, so that is just my opinion. Maybe keep the plastic one just in case since they are easy enough for someone to swap back.

Thanks guys. Saving them is definitely the answer. I was just concerned about losing them once I took them off that is why I asked. Stuff tends to disappear in my house when being stored a long time.

This is the only flaw with this SJ. I noticed both of my SJs have done this. Any idea what causes it.

Green SJ pic 7.jpg

Back