Just picked up my first WSM - CL deal on 18.5

Yay! Maverick ET-732 will be here Friday!

8638287851_26b18b815e.jpg

I am thinking angle grinder from Harbor Freight is in order as well.

Just a heads up on the cover for the WSM. If you are not storing it in a garage or shed, the cover will let water in as it is not waterproof. I hate when you go to use it and the base has a inch of water in it. I bought a roll of the super heavy mil contractor garbage bags that I use under my WSM cover. Have not had a water issue yet.

Last edited:
Nice score, you're going to love it. If it were me, I'd buy new grates just because. Know what I mean?

Sam, I used a dremel to notch mine last weekend but the side grinder will be quicker. Good luck to you you'll enjoy it.

Congratulations Sam, your gonna love the 18 they're a great little smoker. Before you started drilling holes for grommets take a look at this post http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?37348-The-typical-mods-plus-a-few-I-haven-t-seen-done and check out the notch. More people are doing it. I have the grommet mod but think this is an easier way to manage the wires.
That smoker looks like it's in really good shape. I agree with Jerry about the rack.
Good luck with it.

add me in the slot vs grommet column

nice wood handle restore.

Last edited:
Did not get to cook anything today but when I got home I cut this slot into my WSM using an angle grinder.

I'm now an official member of the Slot Club. :D
Pollen is on everything. :mad:
8645957343_ba45fa34d7.jpg

Plenty of room for the Maverick probes and can still plug it up with a silicone grommet if needed.
8645955605_29599acdfe.jpg

Hoping to cook some ribs tomorrow. Thanks again to all for the tips and tricks!

Last edited:

Back