Just picked up my first used Genesis

LOL, larry, that was just a test photo that I posted up. It is an old rehab flip from last summer.

And I agree, it would be nice if the site had it's own hosting. It would make it so much easier on the members and we wouldn't have to worry about a hosting site changing it's policies or shutting down.
The problem with that all those photos require storage space on the server which in turn costs money and requires more bandwidth from the server.

As other sites do this one could simply place a size limit. With modern compression techniques it would not require that much. Most sites even have automated resizing when you post. It would make this site so much easier to use

That hood is not stainless steel imo. It's the smoke gray porcelain color they came out with. Looks like SS but much easier to care for. As for photos it would be so much nicer of we could just drag and drop them into the site like on other forums. This 3rd party stuff is ridiculous

If you mean the Genesis Silver in Bruce’s quote, definitely. But Juan’s grill looks like the stainless 330 to me.

Juan,
I would say that your grill is in pretty nice shape and will look almost new when you see it through to completion. Getting a decent example of the top model for $300 seems like a very fair deal. The biggest challenge with this Genesis version, as has often been expressed, is keeping the lower cabinet- and by extension the bottom of the legs - from rusting out. If everything looks ok now, get it clean and keep it waxed and dry. If you already are seeing some rust, take it apart and deal with it right away.

I would recommend doing rust treatment inside the bottom legs even if they seem ok. Water has a way of collecting over the casters and eventually eating through. I see dozens of these that are otherwise functional but which have to be propped up with bricks:mad:!

Last edited:
As other sites do this one could simply place a size limit. With modern compression techniques it would not require that much. Most sites even have automated resizing when you post. It would make this site so much easier to use

Yah, I agree completely. It would be nice and I don't think it would cost that much, but it would cost and some one would have to pay. It looks like Amazon is the only forum sponsor with member donations and sales of forum memorabilia being the other sources. It would be awesome if WEBER would sponsor the board. They do seem to get a lot of "customer service" use out of this board. We probably solve more problems for Weber than their call in C/S department does.

I would recommend doing rust treatment inside the bottom legs even if they seem ok. Water has a way of collecting over the casters and eventually eating through. I see dozens of these that are otherwise functional but which have to be propped up with bricks:mad:!

Ill check out the legs tonight and try to post some pictures tomorrow. I will look at the forums to see what rust treatments would guys have been doing. Thanks John, I appreciate all the tips i have been getting!

Juan go to a company called Eastwood.com look for a product in spray form called Rust Encapsulator. Buy with it the 24" extension nozzle. Outstanding stuff. Messy but it does what it says it will. It turns existing rust into a hard ceramic like material, penetrates and stops rust dead in it's tracks. Expensive but one can should be able to do up to 3 grills by my estimation

I’ll work on the pictures on Monday! A little busy tomorrow running the WSM and watching football. Project update. I used some stainless steel cleaner I found I had for the kitchen fridge. I used the kitchen sponge and went with the grain. 99% of the crud came off. Down side was I uncover where the previous owner tried to clean it. Lots of swirl marks from someone using an circular motion with some abbrasive.

New question arises today, what is the best way to purchase parts from rcplanebuyer? From his ebay account or direct from him? I read in another thread people were buying direct.

Buying direct is an option but it'd be even cheaper to wait until the $15 off $75 coupon code becomes available on ebay.

Back