Just ordered WSM!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul S74

TVWBB Member
Amazon says delivery between July 8-10.

I was wondering if you guys had any tips for a rookie.

What should I go get before the smoker arrives so I will be ready to go the day it gets here!!
What type of meat should i do for the first time?

I am so excited!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul S74:
[qb] Amazon says delivery between July 8-10.
I was wondering if you guys had any tips for a rookie. What should I go get before the smoker arrives so I will be ready to go the day it gets here!! What type of meat should i do for the first time?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Here is an article covering accessories you might want to consider. While you wait for your WSM to arrive, the website is a treasure trove of information, and is time well-spent reading in preparation for your first cook.

A lot of people do pork spare ribs the first time out. They're sort of quintessential BBQ, don't take a really long time, and are somewhat forgiving on temperature range.

wow thanks for that link

I love BBQ and we don't have much of it up here in Mass. Anyone else from here from mass, I would like to know where I could get different types of wood (mostly apple and cherry wood), the local Home depot has hickory, but I cant find any other places that have woo.

Hey Paul,
There's plenty of Q up here in Mass! Well, if you look real hard. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
I keep hearing about "peoples woods" in Cumberland RI. They mail order at least 12 different kinds of wood. I haven't tried them yet but I expect to next week. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Oh, and welcome to the board!
Gary T

Hi Paul and welcome!

Heat resistant gloves, neoprene gloves (I just went to the store and got the gloves you wash dishes with)and dont forget a good thermometer.
There are some mail order sites for wood chunks if you cant find any locally. Check out the section on using woods that Chris has provided.
Also, a good Weber chimney is invaluable.
When I first got my WSM, I went through Chris's checklist of what you need, and it covers everything.
Your gonna have so much fun...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> tips for a rookie <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Ribs are good and take about 6 hours. Sams et.al. have a two pack of spare ribs for about $1.7 / pound.

The simple rubs & sauces are the best. (For a good rib sauce see britu I.E. I like 5 parts K.C. Masterpiece sauce, 1 part honey.

Patience. Don?t look but think of a way to monitor the temp without looking.

Let the WSM do what the WSM is designed to do.

Not too much charcoal. Not too much wood.

Thanks for the tips guys

Randy what part of mass you in? The only place that I have liked so far is Tennessees BBQ in Danvers ma. There is something about their sauce.

I may give Peoples Wood a try, now if I only had my WSM

Hi Paul,

I'm in Massachusetts and also waiting for my Amazon delivery. I will probably mail-order my wood from Rhode Island.

Good Luck!

Craig

Paul:

Ordered my WSM on 6/28 and the chimney was just shipped today. Amazon says that the WSM will be shipped shortly -- whatever that means! Anyway, this site and the Weber kettle are keeping me sane 'till I can fire my new WSM up. ...Whenever it gets here.

Went to a local BBQ restaruant today and struck up a convo with the owner. I asked where he got his wood from and he told me Brookline Ice and coal in Boston mass, he said they have all kinds of wood for sale.

I am looking for a site or even a phone #, if I find it I will post here

Paul
Just recently moved from Mass. Go to the Weber website, punch on dealers. There is a place in Gloucester,which the name I can't remember has different kinds of wood also lump if you want. Plus all kinds of neat stuff /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Norm /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

I live in Boston (West Roxbury). Brookline Ice and Coal is near the intersection of Route 9, the Jamaicaway/Riverway, at 610 Brookline Ave.

I have bought apple wood and lump charcoal there. Nice people.

As others suggested: Accessorize!
Chimney Starter
Gloves
Polder thermometer
Beer

I agree about Tennessee BBQ on the north shore...pretty good Q and nice sauces for the side. I think Redbones in Somerville is way overrated. Blue Ribbon BBQ in West Newton is another favorite, as well as Jakes' Boss BBQ in Jamaica Plain a across from Doyle's. (Warning: you might run into the mayor or trip over Ted Kennedy or Ray Flynn on the way out!)

Bob

ps: Don't get us started on the Red Sox!!!

Bob, Thanks for the post!
I live in Norwood and never knew that there was any BBQ places near us.

I'm particularly interested in that place in Newton.

Regards,

Craig

Quick question,

I will be only cooking 2 slabs of ribs this weekend, how much charcoal do you guys think I will need?

I do have the weber chimney.

Thanks

The least I would use and still consider myself having a margin of safety would be 1-1/2 fully lit to start. I normally just use 2 and keep the leftovers for the next time.

I've used a full chimmney lit followed by 3/4 unlit using the Standard method as described on this site. Why not split a chicken or two, throw them on the WSM, and really get your moneys worth from those coals ?

PRG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back