Just ordered the Slate 36" griddle.

Just ordered the Weber slate 36-in model.

TL ; DR

Started off looking to spend $249. Ended the journey by spending $999

Longer Story

I've been wanting a griddle for a while now. I used to use my anodized aluminum grillgrates upside down as a pseudo flat top, but was not really anything close to a flat top 😞 But was great for seafood and other large items.

My rabbit hole of grilling/griddling thought process went something like this:

I have a SE-410 Genesis II gasser and considered the full size griddle (Weber p/n #6789). On sale for $249. Actual cooking surface area is 14 x 32.5 for 455 SQ in. Seemed bit small based on YouTube videos of actual stand alone flat top usage.

Looked at Blackstone omnivore 36". Great price. But uneven heating based on the bread test.

Looked at member mark griddles. Not a lot of reviews of real world tests, but I believe their heat pattern won't be any better than the Blackstone omnivore.

On to the traeger flat rock. Impressive bread test so this has excellent even heating based on the Flat Top King you tube channel plus other YT reviews. Then realized the 5-year warranty is on body only (no rust through). Everything else is 1-year. And the flat top has no reinforcement on the underside. The industry is moving towards reinforcement to prevent warping, but trager never got the memo :)

Looked at the new camp chef 36" grid iron. Has the ability to level the cooking surface. That's very nice. Only 36 x 18 cooking surface. Total area is 36 x 21, but 3" is for the grease trough along the front and the trough does not heat. Bread test not as good as previous camp chef model. But definitely better than the Blackstone omnivore 36-in.

Finally, the Weber slate. Learned from buying an 18" ceramic kamado that bigger can be more useful. Now I own the 24" Weber Kamado S6. Bigger is Like buying an SUV with a third row. Most of the time the third row goes unused. But when you need it, it's nice to have it and avoid using two cars on an outing :). Jumped over the 30-in and right to the 36" slate that has a useable cooking surface of 36 x 21. Really good bread test on the amazing ribs website In terms of even heating.

Link to the amazing ribs review that went live recently:

Sure hope you enjoy it. Awful lot of coin to spend on one
It is :)

Saw the Blackstone 36" for $297 at Walmart. Great price. 1/3 the cost of 36" slate. But in this case I was thinking it's not really a case of the Blackstone failing and I can go through three of them over a 15-year period instead of spending $999 for the slate 36-in.

I think for me, the Blackstone, and the members mark, and the other cheaper alternatives all have a similar problem that is very difficult to overcome: The inconsistent and uneven heat.

Some of the models I've looked at don't heat evenly along the edges along the top bottom left and right so that's basically up to 3 inches of dead space around the whole cooking surface depending on the make and model griddle.

That reduces a 36x18 area (648 SQ. inch) down to 30 x 12 (360 SQ. inch). Not all of the lower priced alternatives are that bad. Then if we throw a hotspot right in the dead center which is about a foot by a foot, now I'm doing all types of dancing to try to cook my food evenly by placing certain foods in a certain area of the cooktop because certain areas have different temperatures.

I think for me, the Blackstone, and the members mark, and the other cheaper alternatives all have a similar problem that is very difficult to overcome: The inconsistent and uneven heat.
I don't put a whole lot of credence in this. I've never seen anything from anyone complaining on this with the MM. And even so. When people look at this sort of thing many fail to take into account, weather conditions (wind, temp, moisture, etc), skill of the operator, (did they stabilize the unit, and so on). There are so many variables. In my head there is no reason any of them should perform about equally (in the correct hands). Sorry, but still no way I'm dropping a grand on it. Mostly for the W on the front. But, you're not spending my $$$ :D LOL so like I indicated wish you all the best. It looks like a nice piece.............really does. But not $1000 nice. But then that's in eye of the buyer. Something is worth only what a ready willing and able buyer is willing to pay for it.
I am sure it will perform well enough. And truly hope it doesn't disappoint. Keep reporting back with it. Always like to see people's results. IIRC one of our members here bought the big MM one though. Would like to see his input on how it performs and holds up as well

I don't put a whole lot of credence in this. I've never seen anything from anyone complaining on this with the MM. And even so. When people look at this sort of thing many fail to take into account, weather conditions (wind, temp, moisture, etc), skill of the operator, (did they stabilize the unit, and so on). There are so many variables. In my head there is no reason any of them should perform about equally (in the correct hands). Sorry, but still no way I'm dropping a grand on it. Mostly for the W on the front. But, you're not spending my $$$ :D LOL so like I indicated wish you all the best. It looks like a nice piece.............really does. But not $1000 nice. But then that's in eye of the buyer. Something is worth only what a ready willing and able buyer is willing to pay for it.
I am sure it will perform well enough. And truly hope it doesn't disappoint. Keep reporting back with it. Always like to see people's results. IIRC one of our members here bought the big MM one though. Would like to see his input on how it performs and holds up as well
I canceled my order. I'm going to do some more research. I'm not kidding. It really looks like a nice piece. But now I'm going to do some more research because I'm starting to second-guess myself.

Thanks a lot.

I canceled my order. I'm going to do some more research. I'm not kidding. It really looks like a nice piece. But now I'm going to do some more research because I'm starting to second-guess myself.

Thanks a lot.
IDK if I should apologize or say you're welcome. I forgot who ordered the MM I can't recall if it was Tim Lewis, Timothy, Jay D or what. I looked for the thread where one of them actually bought it and IIRC cooked on it yesterday. Nothing like first hand knowledge.

The 36” slate looks legit!
Some really great reviews.
For me the key is going to be if they actually don’t rust like Weber claims.

I don't think Weber is claiming they "don't rust" rather that they're treated somehow to make them more "rust resistant". I don't think there is any way (not toxic for cooking) to make iron or steel free of rust. Of course unless it's made of stainless steel (300 series) like higher end cookware. Odds are it will likely be a bit easier to care for though. But considering even Weber is selling products to "season" it. Indicates it still needs a bit of care. But, so what? Name something that doesn't require care. Definitely not a "fault"

IMG_7402.jpeg

All I’m saying is if Weber came up with something that performed better I would be interested.
I’m sure the MM is a great griddle, didn’t Timothy just get one? Let’s see how he likes it.

I think it was Timothy. But, having a brain cramp on it, and could not find the thread regarding it. Have never seen anyone recommend against metal tools and utensils on any griddle.

@Darryl - swazies bought a slate

Last edited:
The Blackstone or MM are good if just starting out.
I've used Blackstone's and just got my second MM. Full size, had the smaller portable one for a few.
I would at least get my feet wet and try one of those before pulling the plug on a big purchase.
You might love it or after a year say this is more of a hassle then it's worth so no big loss.
I would love to try a Slate just to see what the hype is all about and if it's that noticeable of a difference.

I Saw several griddles in person this past week. Looked at the members mark 5 burner in Sam's club. Then I checked out the Slate. The 36-in camp chef gridiron. And the 36-in Blackstone.

I didn't look at the older Weber griddle at 36 inch though because I'm not interested in that one. Great reviews though.

If I had to rate these in terms of build quality, fit and finish, I would rate them as, from best to worst,

1. Slate 36 in
2. Camp chef 36-in gridiron
3. Blackstone 36-in omnivore
4. Member's Mark

If I don't get to slate 36-in, the only one I think I would be willing to purchase would be the camp chef gridiron 36-in. That seems nice. The reviews are pretty good. It is nice looking. Seemed very sturdy in terms of the way the cart was fabricated. And It is half the price of the slate 36.

But if I go with the gridiron, then I'm not going to have the extra cabinet and shelf space. And if I do buy a prep cart that has cabinets and shelf space that is similar to what Weber is offering on the slate, Then I'm only a couple hundred less than the slate. And the slate has a much better warranty

I haven't pullef the trigger yet, I'm going to see if it's going to go down right before the 4th of July or after the 4th of July. But I think the slate really is the best option.

I can't believe you rated the MM that low in that group. I've looked at all except the Slate. As no one around here carries them yet. And other than the Slate (as it would not be fair of me to rate something I can't see) 'd still put the MM not only top of the list but best buy overall

I can't believe you rated the MM that low in that group. I've looked at all except the Slate. As no one around here carries them yet. And other than the Slate (as it would not be fair of me to rate something I can't see) 'd still put the MM not only top of the list but best buy overall

MM, of the 4, felt the cheapest to me. Gridiron felt really solid (Excellent leg / cart design). Blackstone cart seemed flimsy.

I did rate based on fit and finish, and build quality based on my opinion :)

Back