Just Ordered 18.5" WSM

James Vadas

Hey everyone!
After days of research and reading, I decided to order the 18.5" WSM along with a Maverick Remote Thermometer and Gary Wiviott's book Low & Slow. There is an unbelievable wealth of information on this site and I plan on studying it all! Hopefully, I'll learn something.
Jim

Welcome! I was in your exact shoes at the end of May. You'll be glad you made this choice! May I also suggest a chimney starter if you were like me and starting from having no charcoal accessories.

1. Welcome to the WSM world of smoking. You will love it. I just bought my 2nd one after 4 years of using mine. So go ahead and buy a 2nd one because you will want one sooner or later.

2-Get rid of the thermometer. Gary's book is awesome but he doesn't believe in them. Follow his instructios and you'll be fine.

3-Buy a Weber Chimney starter and only use lump charcoal

Here's my advice to you...

Look to this website and to that book, and others, for ideas. Try some of them, and then take from them what works for you. There's no "right way" to bbq. What's right is what tastes good to you and your family/friends.

-Thermometer. Use it if you want to. I mainly use mine just to be 100% sure items are cooked to a point that is safe to eat.

-definitely get a chimney starter. (ok, guess that is some advice you really should follow)

-lump v coal. Use whichever you prefer. Personally, it's lump for high heat/direct, briquettes for smoking/indirect (lump is hotter, but not as stable/even)

Good luck. And like I said, don't let anyone brainwash you into thinking their way is the ONLY way.

Welcome to the forum Jim!
Do what works for YOU and you'll be fine.
This ain't surgery, it's only food.

Thanks for the welcome everyone! I appreciate it!
I already have a chimney starter I use with my Weber grill so I'm good there. I was wondering about the thermometer after visiting Garys website but figured what the heck, the wife can use it if I don't. I'm really looking forward to some ribs, butt, and some of that meatloaf you guys have been making on the WSM.

Well dump the thermo IF u know all the meat you are cooking.(by feel)

I use mine always exept for steak´s (thin cuts)

But i rather have a termo in bigger cuts then to eat just overcooked/under target temp and go by feel.

1c can rise in 0.40sec-2 min on the grill(slower on the wsm)

And why eat nothing but perfect food?(as if i dont fail once in a while)
icon_mad.gif

But hey as Jim said: Do what works for YOU and you'll be fine.

Bless

Back