Just like riding a bicycle

Lew

TVWBB All-Star
For years, I've been using around 400lbs of charcoal a year. Then last fall, I restored the gasser and taught the wife how to use it. Ever since, I've neglected the Performer and the wife grills half the time. I get a kick out of how much she loves to cook outdoors now. Heck, I haven't smoked anything since Thanksgiving.

The last couple of weeks, I've been making up for lost time. The gasser ran out of fuel and I haven't replaced it. I've cooked steaks and roasts and burgers and tri-tips and...you get the idea. When I took the cover off the Performer after several months, it was just like I hadn't been away. Barbecue and grilling really are just like riding a bicycle.

I have to agree with you, here we have very high fire danger from now until the monsoons hit about July. Shortly they will ban the use of charcoal grills until the rains come. I have two gassers that take over for a couple of months while the performer, SJ and WSMs stay covered up. When they lift the ban and the performer gets fired up it's just like it was yesterday when I last used it.

I will have to agree with you Lew, I was using the gasser up until about a month ago as I ran out of gas and decided it was time to get more use out of my performer. Now I don't even think about the gasser and still haven't made it up to do a bottle exchange. The food taste so much better off the performer.

I will have to agree with you Lew, I was using the gasser up until about a month ago as I ran out of gas and decided it was time to get more use out of my performer. Now I don't even think about the gasser and still haven't made it up to do a bottle exchange. The food taste so much better off the performer.

the last time I used my mini for chicken (might've been the 18.5) I noticed a real increase in tenderness/juiciness/and even flavor. Other times.... not quite what I'm going for. I need to use the charcoal more often

The gas grills ease of start up and use can be very seductive to many of us. The other day I was over at a buddy's place and we were sitting on the patio.
I noticed his grills, a new 26" kettle and a couple of smokers, so I asked if he was the only house on the block without a gas grill. He said it just as easy to
carry a couple of bags of charcoal home as it is to mess with carrying and changing LP tanks. And besides the food tastes better.

Back