Just got the EX4.

Cathy N

Been reading about all the issues with the new smokefire and was going to wait a while, but spring is here and the weather turned nice so I decided to chance it and get one. Got it at my local ace hardware - the put it together and delivered it to me which was very nice. I was talking to the guy when he delivered it and mentioned all the problems and said I hoped I got a good one. He said that Weber shipped the new hopper fix to them to install with any grill they sold. He said that they installed the new hopper mod when they put mine together. I also have the the welded chute. Since I knew about the pellet feeding issue - I have been stirring up the pellets every once in a while just to be sure. Even with the hopper mod I notice a bit of an issue. Installed the software on my android phone and it let it update my controller before I did anything else. No problems connecting to my wifi or phone. Did the initial burn off yesterday afternoon. No issues. Today am cooking baby back ribs - used a drip pan so avoid any grease issues. The cooker has been steady with no problems for 4 hours now. Everything looking good. Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

Weber is definitely addressing the problems found after the release. I'll bet that you got a good one. Congrats and enjoy your :ex4:.

We all wish you the best, Cathy! Post some pictures of those ribs and your SmokeFire when you can:ex4:!

Even with the hopper mod I notice a bit of an issue.

Amazing Ribs updated their review and also said the hopper mod didn't cure the issue.

We are bewildered that this defect escaped Weber's R&D before going to market. To remedy this pellet feeding problem, Weber is shipping a complimentary ramp insert that raises the incline. Unfortunately, the new insert reduces the capacity of the 22 pound hopper to about 20 pounds. We tested the insert on our EX4. Installation was easy, requiring just two screws. But the results were disappointing. Not only did the insert fail to fix the issue; it became worse! With the cooker set at 225°F, pellets went from lasting 12 hours down to only 10 hours. To double check, we repeated our test the following night and got the same results. On a positive note, we spoke with an owner of the larger EX6 who said the insert completely cured his pellet feed issue.

This grill/smoker is like so many modern movies. Great concept but poor execution.

I hope they get it all figured out, because I'd really like to own one if the concept is carried out successfully.

But I won't buy one until I know I can put a brisket or butts on for an overnight cook and rely on it to run without assistance.

Please keep us updated as you continue to use yours.

Back