Just Curious....

Chris Brown

TVWBB Member
With December being the month of where people come together and all the holiday parties to attend, I was wondering what everyone else has come up with to bbq/smoke. I’m planning to smoke a turkey and ham.

ooooh, smoked ham sounds damn good! And I don't even really care for ham!
icon_biggrin.gif

For me, ribs & pulled pork is a personal favorite...and good all-year-round!

I also want to try smoked chicken wings...would make a good appetizer for holiday gatherings.

I'd like to do a rib roast this Christmas. Chris, that pic on the front page has me drooling
wsmsmile8gm.gif
! Otherwise, some wings, and ribs are being planned.

I plan on doing a rib roast for my parents on Christmas Day.

I had some friends over awhile back and did beef ribs, beer can chicken with Guy Fieri's rub recipe and ABTs. What a feast!

Steve

Im putting a big ol' spiral sliced ham on the kettle for the Christmas party this weekend. I'll probably do a rib roast for Christmas dinner for the wife and I.

A whole fresh ham (raw rear pig leg), brined in heavily spiced juice. (I do a Florida/Caribbean food theme for the holiday meal. With the usual balmy temps and sun, you know...)

I'll be watching this thread. I have typically done a prime rib roast, crown roast pork, fresh or smoked ham. Don't have to cook the dinner this year, so I can afford to experiment.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

Beef sirloin strip roast in the kettle. Made one Saturday, soft as butter, quick and delicious

Got two of three kids (college age) coming "home", #2 son is a dedicated carnivore…trying Buckboard Bacon for the first time (Hi Mountain cured arrived today…should be done in time for xmas breakfast). Planning a small turkey just to have around, but for xmas dinner….that roast on the front page looks fantastic.

I am planning on smoking a Prime Rib/Rib Roast and a Pork butt, along with a green bean cassarole, mashed potatoes, and a cherry cream cheese cake. Dang, I can't wait. The pork butt will be smoked the day before, and the rib roast the day of. Have some red wine imported from Italy for a dinner wine as well. One of my friends back in New Jersey sent me six bottles of Italian wine that he brings indirectly from Italy, and is absolutely the best. Merry Christmas to all of you and your families.

You guys do it different to us Australians. You typically do the turkey thing with all the trimmings for Thanksgiving.
Our big family thing is Xmas Dinner, we either do the traditional British thing or we do a seafood dinner.
For Xmas dinner I have about 20 or so and will do a Turkey, Baked Ham, Roast Chickens, Roasted Pork Loin (rolled & stuffed), and a corned Lamb Leg (Lamb Ham) as a cold cut along with all the roast veggies. "Her Indoors" is still debating on the starter and appetiser I want to do marinated prawns followed by cedar-planked salmon.
The tables are laden with cherries, apricots & peaches and chocolates of all shapes and sizes, nuts, individual fruit mince pies, fruit cake plus treats made by "Her indoors" and the other female guests.
Our Xmas dinner normally starts at 1 pm and finishes about 8:30 pm
This year instead of starting with a champagne cocktail I have been instructed to serve everyone a strawberry daiquiri, I have spent the last few nights adjusting and perfecting the recipe so as to meet with her approval. Actually after the first one it doesn't really matter.
Between Xmas and New year we will have a Seafood BBQ/Fest it will depend on what is available and fresh as to what we have. I suggested to "Her Indoors" that everyone bring some fresh seafood of some type and some fresh herbs and we will develop the "Menu" from what there is after much discussion and drinks. We can then plan the cook and get everyone to help with the prep. I (of course) will be the pit master and will delegate various cooking tasks. I think that this will be one of the best BBQs ever and will set a new benchmark.
I can imagine the lively discussions that will take place before the Menu is settled especially if it is a hot day and everyone is quenching their thirst with the "nectar".
We will probably start about 2 pm and start the cook at about 5 pm and just have some cheese and antipasti plate in between to keep the worms happy.

Regards

this is what I am doing for the holidays.
1 butt end smoked ham, about 7 pounds
1/2 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cans crescent rolls
Egg wash

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the ham in a roasting pan and lightly score it with a sharp knife all
around. Stir the mustard, marmalade and black pepper together in a small
mixing bowl with a spoon. Slather the mustard mixture all over the outside of
the ham, rubbing it into the scored meat. Bake the ham for 20 minutes then
remove it from the oven.

Using 2 cans of crescent rolls, unroll the crescent dough but don't separate
them into pieces. Press the perforated pieces together to keep the dough in
its rectangular shape. Drape them over the ham pressing the dough edges
together to cover the ham completely with the dough. Tuck any loose edges
underneath the bottom of the ham in the roasting pan. Brush with egg wash.

Return the ham to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes until the ham is
heated through and the crescent dough is cooked and browned.
I will be smokeing my own ham and finishing in the oven.

Ok, after reading some of the posts here, my ham and turkey now seems like a puny offering to the bbq gods. I’ve had to clean my computer screen a couple of times from the drool marks.
icon_biggrin.gif
Phil, Gary, and Kevin...I especially have drawn some inspiration from you guys. I like the fact that you are treating this “dinner” as a real celebration of food and family and friends, and doing something special. And Don, buckboard bacon for breakfast.....add a bloody mary and who needs much more? Which brings me to another question. Any good ideas for sides done on the WSM? Smokey beans...any one use it as an oven to make bread or biscuits?

Not doing anything for Christmas. That's being taken care of by others in the family. Wait, I am doing up a bunch of smoked salmon for snacking.

New Year's I'm seriously thinking of doing a prime rib. That sounds so good, I can't resist.

Sides all kinds of sides can be done in the WSM. Bread can be too.

Chris, if you have an e-mail address I can send you a PDF with a lot of side recipes. Also check the recipes section for Sides Some are meant to be cooked in the BBQer, some aren't but could be to add some smokiness to 'em.

You can add an e-mail address to your profile for convenience.

Phil, do you guys generally welcome Americans over there for Christmas dinner
icon_biggrin.gif
?

I'll probably be fixing some wings and pulled pork for various get-togethers, and this being the first year of the WSM for us I would like to do a turkey or ham. If nothing else, I want to do whole chickens again, because those turned out perfect last time.

Back