Just bought an '04, 22" OTP and would like to....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Craigslist find, $75, VGC, missing a roller and nut on the lid slide holder.
Pic from CL listing:
OTPweber.jpg

I would really like to put my red 1993 22" OTS on this table, and transfer the ash catcher to it as well:
000_0138.jpg

Number one, it would take some drilling, and attachment mods.
Number two, it would render the old OTP kettle almost worthless for resale, even though it would have legs, and an ash catcher pan from the red.

Any thoughts on such a project?

Number one, it would take some drilling, and attachment mods.
Number two, it would render the old OTP kettle almost worthless for resale, even though it would have legs, and an ash catcher pan from the red.

Ok I will speak for the masses when I say NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Ok really, you probably will never sell it, and unless it is really old, it probably doesn't have a real high resale value as it stands today.

Go ahead and do it!

You'd have a unique DIY project you could admire.

Besides, neither is a collector's item and ya didn't buy them for their resale value anyway, right?

You could always use the OTP kettle as a planter around the deck or yard.

Hey Bob,

Just got done a month ago redoing the bottom of a red OTS just like yours and a 2001 Performer. I'm not sure the ash/air control mechanism from the OTG will go through the bottom of the OTS. The OTS has a different rod & attachment system. Check with Weber CS first before you do the Sarah Palin on her. (Drill baby drill!) You may end up with a bigger mess than you wanted. Not sure just check it out.
Also if your OTS rod or hardware are stuck don't try to man handle it off they will break off on you. Trust the voice of experience!

Thanks for the comments!

Great advice Phil, I better do some checking.
My thoughts were to leave the ash sweeper as is on each, and put the ash collar/catcher on the red,
but, I haven't given either a good look yet.

At one time I thought about a switch from an '09 OTG to the red, and Pat Smith had advice for the switch here.

Great concept but the handles don't interchange as they each have a differng distance from the kettle bottom. The OTS handle is right up against it and won't lineup with the slot in the OTG ash catcher holder! The only way this will work is if you exchange the entire assembly and the holes in the kettle bottom are the same size. Good luck!

I see what you're saying now Phil, I hadn't looked at them that closely.

Not sure that I want to go through all the trouble and possible expense.

Bottom line is that I presently have a Performer, OTG, OTS, WSM, and a Q220 w/cart on the deck, and something has got to go!
I keep my roti ring on the OTG, and will probably move it to the OTP.
Then sell the red OTS, and black OTG as they are.

Thanks again!
Bob

Way to much trouble for what you'll get out of it. I say leave both alone have a cold cocktail and fire them both up. Let them get to know one another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back