Just a Little Brisket for Tomorrow

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
Having some company over for dinner tomorrow and haven't done one in a long time, so trimmed up a brisket (probably very poorly), seasoned it up yesterday with Montreal steak spice and just dropped it on the Summit Kamado around 11:30am this morning. Hoping it will be done around midnight. Lump charcoal with some cherry wood chunks. Pit temp set to 240 degrees.

Note...it looks a little more oval as when I do brisket, I chop off a good 6" of the flat as we make corned beef / pastrami from that...I prefer the fatty side for brisket.

Going to wrap around 165ish, bring it up to probe tender, and then will cool it a bit then throw it in the oven to "hot hold" at 150 until tomorrow for dinner - about 18 hours at 150ish.

Will be out of the house a whole bunch today so decided to do temperature control by Signals/Bellows. Watch it here if you like a BBQ graph thing... Sure is nice when you are away from the grill and have $100 of beef cooking...

1718308310312.png

Last edited:
Some strange event happened with the Signals around 1:07pm....looks like it stopped responding. Good thing I came home to take a look as the pit had gone up to almost 300 degrees. Fan on the billows was cycling repeatedly even though the signals was still reporting 238....trying to cool it down now....yikes!!!

Looking online, I see some other threads with people saying they have seen this same issue. Talked to Thermoworks tech support and sounds like they are aware this has happened in some cases and they have a new firmware that is supposed to address it...but gaining trust back after something like this happens is a tough thing. Going to have to do some extensive testing before going full trust again. I've still got the Thermoworks probes in the pit, but now manually controlling and dropping temp.

Last edited:
Some strange event happened with the Signals around 1:07pm....looks like it stopped responding. Good thing I came home to take a look as the pit had gone up to almost 300 degrees. Fan on the billows was cycling repeatedly even though the signals was still reporting 238....trying to cool it down now....yikes!!!

Looking online, I see some other threads with people saying they have seen this same issue. Talked to Thermoworks tech support and sounds like they are aware this has happened in some cases and they have a new firmware that is supposed to address it...but gaining trust back after something like this happens is a tough thing. Going to have to do some extensive testing before going full trust again. I've still got the Thermoworks probes in the pit, but now manually controlling and dropping temp.

Yikes! I'm sure you can recover, but dang it if that wouldn't shake my confidence in the temp controller. Is it a billows issue or a signals issue (is that fan just being weird or is the thermometer giving false readings too)?

Yikes! I'm sure you can recover, but dang it if that wouldn't shake my confidence in the temp controller. Is it a billows issue or a signals issue (is that fan just being weird or is the thermometer giving false readings too)?

The billows is completely controlled by the Signals as far as I know. The Signals (if you click on the graph link above) right at 1:07pm freezes up...the reading (until I caught it) does not change on either the brisket or the pit temp. Thermoworks says they think they have nailed down the issue and have a fix in an upcoming firmware...but yeah, can't say I will stake my life on an overnight cook with it (not that I really do those any more) until it has proven itself again... I rarely use it any more as I am here mostly to monitor and don't overnight cook much as I find it much easier to hot-hold at 150 in the oven when needed.

But yeah, totally recovered now...you can see on the graph the temp craziness....no worries as I am sure the temp increase (it was gradual) didn't hurt anything.

1718319452361.png

And just like that (well, almost exactly 12 hours later like that...) probes like butter at about 203 degrees and just cooling down a bit before going into the oven for a hot-hold at 150 until tomorrow evening at dinner...

Looks great! I'm sure it'll taste as good as it looks!

looks delicious! We've had the same behavior with our Signals.... They are great when they do what they are supposed to do, but they can flake out out from time to time which is disappointing. Looks like you rallied , and got a winner there!

looks delicious! We've had the same behavior with our Signals.... They are great when they do what they are supposed to do, but they can flake out out from time to time which is disappointing. Looks like you rallied , and got a winner there!
Hopefully the next firmware fixes the glitch I had....would have come home to a chunk of charcoal had I not noticed something was weird there...

I picked up a prime cut at Costco yesterday about 13 plus lbs. I got it stashed away for around the 4th cook. I am going to try doing this one on the performer with a SNS never tried it this way,I have always used my WSM.
Any tips greatly appreciated.

Back