Jumbo Joe Premium mod to 22" WSM

Walt

TVWBB Fan
For those that bought the Jumbo Joe Premium, have you thought about converting it to a 22" WSM?

From what I've read on this forum, this JJP (Jumbo Joe Premium) has a shallow lower bowl so the grate is closer to the coals than the original 22" kettles. This is great for direct grilling, but may not perform as good indirect as the original 22".

I would think converting this to a 22" WSM would be cheaper than buying a 22" WSM. I want to discuss this with everyone because I currently have a Jumbo Joe (18") and want to convert it to a 18" WSM. I think parts for a 22" WSM will be easier to find along with having more grill/smoking space would be worth going the JJP conversion.

:smokeyjoe: convert to :wsm22:

Walt,

I love to see the smoker mods that people come up with to convert kettles into smokers. I built a Mini WSM from a Smokey Joe using the methods on this site.

I was in the market for Cajun Bandit Stacker ring for my 22" kettle until i ended up scoring an 18" WSM at a great price.

What you are proposing it possible if you can get the right parts. What were you planning on using for the smoker body and are you keeping the kettle lid or replacing it?

The cajun bandit stacker ring would likely fit the Jumbo Joe Premium but you may run into weight or stablilty issues. I havent seen or used the JJP myself but i have heard its a little bit lighter weight and shallower then the standard kettle. Adding the additional weight of the smoker body and the higher center of gravity could be issues. The coals will be closer to the meat due to the shallower bowl, and the center vent could lead to issues with ash choking air flow, research mini wsm SJ silver airflow issues and you will see some solutions.

Bottom line: You can make almost anything work, its just a matter of what works best.

The $30 in cost savings vs a normal kettle may cause some issues. If you are looking to keep costs down a craigslist kettle is a great way to start, you can find kettles in good conditions for way less than buying the compact from walmart.

That's my two cents. There might be some folks here who have more experience with the JPP who will have a better take on it. Check the kettle club site too.

I found a food grade steel barrel on Craigslist for $10 with a lid. I cut the top off and made a pizza kettle, which works awesome. I cut out another section of the barrel and made a stacker to convert my 22.5" kettle into a WSM. It basically is a 22.5" version of the mini WSM. I have used it the last two smokes I have done and have had stellar results. I did a pork butt first and ribs second. I have been super happy about how rock steady I can keep the temps...and with how much money I have saved by getting creative with a steel barrel.

Here is the link to my barrel creations. I can post more pics of the stacker if you want:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?58401-Home-Made-Pizza-Kettle

Jamie,

I have been wanting to do exactly that with my recently rescued 22.5" OTS. What size barrel did you buy?

Regards,

John

i believe it was exactly 22.5" in diameter. I had to narrow it down, so I cut the rim off where the lit fit perfectly, cut the barrel down, reconnect the barrel with short stainless steel machine screws and then reattached the rim. It currently sits nicely on top and does not leak smoke too bad. I am considering welding the rim back on, but it works well enough for now.

Thanks Jamie. Do you have any close-up pictures of the cut down portion with the machine screws? I would like to get a visual on that if possible.

Regards,

John

I'll have to take a picture and post it a little later when I get a chance, but all I did was take my angle grinder and cut down the main seam. I then overlapped the barrel until it fit into the kettle. I used clamps to hold it in place, drilled holes and then used 1/2" machine screws with a lock washer, a regular washer and a nut on each.

Thanks Jaime - that sounds pretty straight forward. How far up the seam did you have to cut? About how much overlap did it take to fit the grill snugly? I saw a mod on a different forum where the guy cut about two dozen 2" slits from the bottom of the drum and then bent the resultant 'tabs' in toward the center of the drum to make sort of an inward slanting fairing which he then set on the grill. He said it works great but it is pretty ugly. I like your approach better...

Regards,

John

Back