Jumbo Joe outperforms my OTG

MikeMcK

I'm sold on my Jumbo Joe.
Same grilling area as an 18.5" OTS or OTG, and more effecient.

I don't need a lot of air space in a kettle grill, and the Jumbo Joe is the perfect fit.

I grilled some Pork country style ribs on both the Joe and the OTG, and had better results on the Joe. Easier to control temp, smaller footprint, less dome, and better burning.

Sold off my OTG and kept the Joe.

Good report.
Always great to hear about the efficiency of the various sizes.
I was extremely lucky and made a CL score on a JJ.
One cook on it....$15.
Haven't tried it yet.

John B.,

Why do you like the newer model Jumbo Joe over the older model? I've seen a couple of the older ones and was thinking about making an offer to the owner. I use my Jumbo Joe more than any of the other 10 or 12 Webers I have but if the older jumbo's don't cook as good as the new ones I will pass on getting an older model.

Paul

John B.,

Why do you like the newer model Jumbo Joe over the older model? I've seen a couple of the older ones and was thinking about making an offer to the owner. I use my Jumbo Joe more than any of the other 10 or 12 Webers I have but if the older jumbo's don't cook as good as the new ones I will pass on getting an older model.

Paul

Airflow. The older one has the same issues the SJG has. Can they be overcome? Yes. Do they exist on the new one in the first place? No. Probably more important than airflow is portability. The new jumbo joe easily fits in my trunk with the lid locked. The older one requires the lid to be removed. It may seem like I don't like my old jumbo joe, but I do, I will never part with it. I am surprised I like the new one better, I didn't see that coming when I bought it. I got the new one on clearance at target last fall for 23 bucks (floor model, missing ash catcher). I am going to watch target again to see if they clear them again when grilling "season" ends (whatever the hell that is).

I have two Jumbo Joes. Both the old model with vents on the side. Stores nicely in back of truck. Easy to regulate temps low or high.

I just bought a older JJ this week for 10 bucks and was going to do the bottom vent mod to it less than 7 bucks from ereplacement parts. Anyway someone at work that has a camper had been looking for a same grill and bought from me before I could even wash it up.
I wanted to add the lower vent, and the little ash dish. wich would make it into a perfect portable mid sized grill.

I've had the new model for a couple of weeks and love it as well. Cooked quite a bit of stuff on it before I stuck it in the camper. It cooks like my performer, gets hot and stays hot with the lid on.

How do you tell if it's the older or newer Jumbo Joe?

The older Jumbo Joe has the side vents like the Smokey Joe Gold. The newer version has bottom vents (and they are plenty big enough). I have the newer version and would change NOTHING as it works VERY well "as issued"... It has a permanent place in my grill arsenal for those smaller cooks at home and great for a picnic or any event you need a portable grill.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back