Johnsonville Brats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Edvik

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm planning on trying ABTs in my WSM this weekend & thought I'd throw in some Johnsonville Brats as well. How long do they take to cook at 225-250*?
I saw Chris' topic on gourmet sausages in the cooking section where he cooked them for 2 hours to an internal temp of 155*. The Brat package says to cook to an internal temp of 180*.
Thanks for any help. I'm really looking forward to trying the ABTs too.

Jeff

Jeff,

My favorite way of doing brats on a smoke cooker is to slit a "pocket" in them and stuff with sauerkraut mixed with ketchup and a strong brown (horseradish) mustard. Smoke for about 2 hours. They look pretty dark but they taste great!

Otherwise, just grill them. But you probably know about that already.

I grew up about 10 miles from Johnsonville. Every single butcher and grocery store used to make their own brats. Everyone had their favorite and we used to spend quite a bit of time over a few beers making comparisons and arguing whose was best. I remember one time when my brother-in-law and I went through 14 brats in one sitting. Oh, I mean EACH. I hurt the next day!

Good luck,
Tony

I follow the instructions in the Weber Big Book of Grilling: Sear them on Direct High for 6 minutes and then place them in a pan of beer on the grill. Cover the pan with foil and simmer for 30 minutes. Damn good! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Also good if you slice a big onion into a pan into which you've poured a beer. Put the raw brats straight into that, simmer for about 20 minutes, or until they're cooked through, and then go to the grill just long enough to crisp the outside. Continue simmering the beer/onion mixture in the meantime, until the beer is reduced to almost nothing, and serve the cooked-down onions with the brats. I like them this way much better than just grilling them.

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Keri is right on the only thing I would add is to slap on a good helping of homemade sweet German style mustard. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I boil my brats in beer, water, butter, & onions, and sometimes minced garlic too first till they turn white(about 20 minutes). Then I throw them on a very hot grill and sear them nice and dark. My favorite way is to get them a tad bit crispy on the outside. You get the added flavor that way and there so juicy on the inside they squirt sometimes when you bite into them.

Perfect with a nice cold beer! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I agree with Keri. Brats sauteed in beer and onions and then thrown on the grill are the best! Mix in any type of condiment and then serve whole, halved or sliced as appetizers while your waitin' for whatever you're smokin' or grillin' to finish.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. I think I'll whip some up for tommorrow night!

Keep on smokin'!

DWL

This isn't a recipe for brats, but the Lion's club in my hometown boil their spicy links in Dr. Pepper before finishing them for about an hour on the smoker.

Wow they were good.

I like to to brown the brats first, then place them in a pan with beer, butter,onions, green pepper,and saurkraut.Then let them simmer for a good 30 minutes.Take the brat out of the brine and top with saurkraut, green pepper, and onion.Then enjoy with a couple of cold beers.Life is good!HAPPY BBQ

I have done them the way Chris suggests several times. They are a huge success for us. Last time I did them I cut them into small pieces and put tooth picks in them to be served as apetizers at a party. People loved them with a little mustard dipping sauce!

2hrs was plenty. I used apple, cherry and oak.

Thanks for the replies!
I'm not sure how I'll do them yet, but I'm sure they'll turn out great.
I'm going to print out all of the suggestions & eventually try all of them.

Jeff

Ben J said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the Lion's club in my hometown boil their spicy links in Dr. Pepper <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>HOT LINKS IN DR PEPPER?????????? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back