JimLampe'sGrillin'JohnsonvilleBrats!!!

Here's another idea:

The "Great Wisconsin Bratwurst Road-Trip":

-Start by marking-up a map, with who makes what where
-Get some from various places
-rate 'em

(Probably need to break-down by region, or something like that)

Here's a couple of my favorites (slc, ut)

The colosimos near my house just closed; they had all kinds of gourmet sausages. Their product is still featured in restaurants & Octoberfest @ Snowbird.
http://www.colosimosausage.com/Pages/Products

My favorite sausage is from Harmons, a UT grocer. They have a few different grinds, my 2 favs being habenero & jalapeno.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete D.:
Jim, the next time you're up in Appleton, pick up some Brats from Jacobs Meat Market. It's an old neighborhood butcher that has the best brats around.
This how it started last year. I better nip it in the bud. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>...you mean, nip it in the BUN
icon_razz.gif

My sister-in-law is in the Apple visiting her daughter (my niece) and on Sunday she will be toting back to "Rayville" a dozen of Jacob's Brats...
I'm gettin' hungry again!
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
My sister-in-law is in the Apple visiting her daughter (my niece) and on Sunday she will be toting back to "Rayville" a dozen of Jacob's Brats...
I'm gettin' hungry again!
icon_biggrin.gif

Be sure to write up a report (with photos of course!)

And I like the idea of a "Great Wisconsin Bratwurst Road-Trip."

Originally posted by Ron G.:
Here's another idea:

The "Great Wisconsin Bratwurst Road-Trip":

-Start by marking-up a map, with who makes what where
-Get some from various places
-rate 'em

(Probably need to break-down by region, or something like that)
Ron,

That's kind of how it worked last year. We had folks picking up brats from all over the place and then we cooked them all on one day. I choose Labor Day weekend to bookend my summer opposite Smoke Day.

If I do it again, I would not organize a formal bracket. It would be BYOBrats, and people can make up their own challenges or taste-offs as they choose.

Standby for further news ....

Holy Cow.. that might have been the same place we got curds. Right by Lake Poygan, no?

Originally posted by PAT K:
I'm from Waupaca, and I used to go to a cheese plant ,that I think was in Freemont, and get Jalapeno and pineapple brats. Good stuff. Of course Johnsonville are good too. Man, I need to go cook some brats now.

Originally posted by Ron G.:
Sounds like a terrific meal, Jim -

You a mustard guy? I know that I love a dab of some good Dusseldorf-style on brats.

I know that a lot of people like to par-boil their brats before grilling them, but I like to cook 'em indirect without par-boil in most cases. (Simmer in Beer, butter, & onions when cooking for a crowd.)

Johnsonville's are really good - but what do you think of the Sendik's house-brand? Also, have you ever tried some from Sheboygan Sausage Company or Cher-Make (Manitowoc)?
(Somebody on the internet should put together a "Brat Database" of who makes the best ones by State & City.)

Usingers are supposedly a more "true" European-style Bratwurst, but I find their grind too fine for my tastes and I like a little more spice in them. (Although if you like hot-dogs, you gotta' get some of their natural-casing beef franks - they're out-of-this-world on the grille!)

Also, hard to beat the rolls from Sciortinos!
(Although I'm sure there are some good Italian-style bakeries down Kenosha-way!)

Sorry for the rambling - but the nice weather is bringing out the sausage-head in me.

Prost!

Ron, take a ride out to Slinger and go to Held's. Try their onion brats, you will be in for a treat!

Thanks Ron!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron G.: ...what do you think of the Sendik's house-brand? <span class="ev_code_RED">I have Ron, And I think they're quite boring, frankly.</span> Also, have you ever tried some from Sheboygan Sausage Company or Cher-Make (Manitowoc)? <span class="ev_code_RED">No I have not, I now know I probably should
icon_biggrin.gif
</span>
Usingers are supposedly a more "true" European-style Bratwurst, but I find their grind too fine for my tastes and I like a little more spice in them. (Although if you like hot-dogs, you gotta' get some of their natural-casing beef franks - they're out-of-this-world on the grille!) <span class="ev_code_RED">It's been YEARS since I've had Usingers </span>
Thanks Don!
icon_smile.gif
Sometimes mass produced is good, butt I've always LOVED Johnsonville's, don't care for their prices tho... And Thank you Dwayne! The High Life is the Flagship and it's been poured in my belly for over thirty years... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here is a tip for you Jim. Go to Wally World and buy their Great Value brand brats. They are made by Johnsonville and a little cheaper.

Originally posted by Mike Resler:
Here is a tip for you Jim. Go to Wally World and buy their Great Value brand brats. They are made by Johnsonville and a little cheaper.
Thanks for that tip Mike.

I also know that ALDI's Roseland brats are produced by Klements and Mr. Baseballs Brats are from Usinger.

Another lower priced brat that did well in the taste-off was Sheboygan Brat Co. I found them at Woodmans for $1.99/pound.

I found them at Woodmans for $1.99/pound.

That's GREAT news!
Woodmans is building a new store about five minutes from where I work (Near I-45 & Good Hope Road). Looks like it's still a few months off, but it should be there in time for peak grilling season.

Your "Great Bratwurst Challenge" must have been a blast, would love to have been there!
If you do up another, (and need help) I would wear bells!
icon_biggrin.gif
Jim & Other nearby TVWBB Members,

Brat Challenge 2010 is scheduled for September 5. Contact me by email for location and other details.

We've also got a thread going at the Roadfood Forums.

Jim

If I can schedule it, I'm in!

I'll let ya' know after I schedule it with the "keeper of the schedule" (wife - she's better at it than I am.)

-Got some smoked brats from New Glarus
-Maybe pick-up some Cher-Make and some other small, local markets when I get up to Manitowoc.

How do you feel about brats from the good ol local meat market? When I lived in St Joe MN we had a great one that made tasty cheddars, wild rice, and so on. Don't get that in San Diego, that' I've seen.

Thanks sir

Tim,

Those are the brats that we like best. A traditional butcher with his own mix of meat and special blend of spices. Every shop has its own unique variety.

Jim

Wow thaks for dusting of this old thread.

Cant belive i missed it(always read old stuff when you americans are a sleep
icon_smile.gif
)

Great cook/pics/food/beer/dog..a well a great post.

//Me

Jim & Other nearby TVWBB Members,

Brat Challenge 2010 is scheduled for September 5. Contact me by email for location and other details.

Sent an E-mail a few days ago, no word back. Is it still on?

I gotta find Schlitz beer haven't saw any in 20 yrs or more .

Luv brats even Johnsonvills . We been getting some kina brat at Sams that are really good made with chicken and and some kina cheese I can't spell
icon_smile.gif

Back