Jerky Time! Hot, Hot Hot!

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
I actually made this a few weeks back but never got around to posting it. I saw another post for jerky and figured I would share. FYI - London Broil is on sale this week for $2.99 lb at So Cal Stater Brothers markets!

IMG_6700_zpsb25373a7.jpg

Started with 3 packs of London Broil. Try to find the flattest most fat free cuts so you can have uniform size jerky. It also speeds up the prep work.

IMG_6702_zpsd68f5be5.jpg

Trim off all the fat. Don't worry about wasting meat, if you leave the fat on it will make your jerky really bad. All this has to go.

IMG_6704_zps60198c41.jpg

I don't have a picture but after I trim the fat and before I slice the meat, I place it back on the foam trays and put in in the freezer for half an hour. This makes the meat very firm and allows for very easy slicing.

IMG_6715_zps5a97fb08.jpg

One is super hot, one is spicy black pepper and the other is a teriyaki style.

IMG_6716_zps09655557.jpg

I place the sauce and the meat in ziploc bags (label them) and throw them in the fridge for about 2 days.

IMG_6738_zps751bd484.jpg

Drain off the marinade and then add pepper or whatever you like.

IMG_6742_zps9dacf49c.jpg

I use toothpicks dipped in food coloring to keep flavors apart. I have about 6 lbs hanging on the rack. I can cram almost 10lbs if I have too.

IMG_6743_zps0e37f64a.jpg

Small fire keeps the temps around 175. You do have to keep feeding it though. I need to try a Minion method of sorts as it takes around 6-8 hours at low temps.

IMG_6746_zps1ff6d223.jpg

Everything was fine until the rain came. made it less fun watching the temps.

IMG_6747_zpsf2d80620.jpg

Here is one plate. I had to call off the cook at 10:30 on Sunday. Popped the few pieces that were questionable in the oven for about 20 minutes. Came out great but I need to work on the low temp long burn with no maintenance.

They look good. I did jerky once and I over smoked it..I guess the chunk of wood was too big.

Looks great and reminds me i have to do another batch. I also use the same hanging method w/ toothpicks.

Great photos, nice job too. As far as temps go try going with two lit coals
IMG_0960.jpg
[/IMG] and try to stay under 160. Not sure what fuel you are using, up here I used Maple Leaf briquettes.
IMG_0962.jpg
[/IMG]

W0W...Been meaning to do jerky for a long time now...And then 2 posts the same week?! Must be a sign! Love the way you cordinated the cook and i bet the end product is MONEY!

Back