Jerky for the first time on the WSM!

S.Six

TVWBB All-Star
Well I did a little home work online to see how others did jerky on the wsm, and here's what I did. I used "Hi Mountain" cracked pepper and garlic, about 2lbs of deer meat from last fall.
buck12_zps33e7de17.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Here's how the Jerky started out. NICE RACK!
DSCN3664_zps294e695b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
On the wsm 18.5
DSCN3662_zpsa172e32d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Now here's what I was going for: 150-170f on the smoker. Light amount of smoke. I have two small chunks of oak and Kings with hickory. Used the snake, or fuse method(two briquettes wide and high). Lit 13 briquettes and lit the fuse. Oh I also used ash in the water pan to try to make a little bit of a heat sink, don't know if it really helped.

I started with all vents open till I got to about 155 then backed them all to about 50% It held for awhile at 170, but then started to creep up and up. I had to close all vents on the bottom 2x to get the temp down. Next time I think I'll start with only one vent open all the way, and the other two shut down. But anyways here's how it turned out.

Looks fantastic. Man, I wish i can have some of that.........=)
Is that SMW 357 ? Hard to tell.

Peter

Nice Muley and nice jerky! Reminds me I need to get back out this fall! That's good range with the 454! I shot my favorite buck with a 41 mag at about 75!

Anyway..I got a sure fire jerky brine for deer if you want to try it sometime! Yours looks real good though!

Thanks for sharing!!

Love the photos. Jerky looks awesome. I would try less lit coals next time it will help you with the temps.

Back