"Jerk" smoke session

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Saw a really good show on the authentic process in making jerk pork. Very similar to low and slow. Since it's the summer, I figured it'd be a good treat to try. However, I've never use jerk marinade/seasoning for anything so have some questions for those of you who have:

1. What is the best meat to use? I've seen recipes for pork but I'm not interested in cutting/chopping up a pork shoulder/butt and cook it high heat and served chopped or sliced. Can you use jerk seasoning on a whole pork butt? Should I inject? Looking to maybe do a pulled jerk pork butt...How about ribs?

2. Chicken is easy I assume, just rub the seasoning under the skin?

3. Marinade or dry rub?

4. Any good authentic jerk recipes?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Here is the "mild" version. It has a bit of heat but certainly not "hot":

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0085W3P02/tvwb-20

Get the mild AND the hot. Then you can mix and match and come up with the level of heat you personally prefer...

We have an unusual super market - locally owned International with all kinds of ethnic foods - Jungle Jim's with most everything you can think of. They carry both versions of Walkers Wood Jerk seasoning in stock:

http://www.junglejims.com/

200,000 square feet of "Foodie Delights", that's for sure, in Southwestern Ohio.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

There's a recipe in Steven Raichlens book for jerk pork that's really good, I've done it with Walkerswood.If you really want to go authentic get some pimento wood from pimentowood.com.

If you don't want to cut up a butt than may I suggest you buy some country style ribs from the shoulder. Easier to handle and more surface for the marinade to sink into.

Tim

Thanks for all he recs, I'll have to buy some walkers wood, but in the meantime I made my own paste. Marinated a rack of baby backs and a whole chicken last night. Will throw em on today and let you all know the results. Never done a wet rub before!

Back