Jerk Pork Butt help

Status
Not open for further replies.

John W.

TVWBB Fan
I'm having an island theme party next weekend and I want to do jerk pork. I thought about tenderloin, but I'd rather do 3 or 4 butts since I will have so many people. There have been a lot of posts of people trying jerk, but little follow up.

I'm thinking I'll get boneless butts from Costco and marinade in jerk paste 24 hours (including the cavity), then tie it back together and smoke as usual, then add a little more jerk paste after I pull it.

Any advice..and no I don't have a pimento tree. Doesn't have to be completely authentic, just good.

Thanks.

John when I have done jamaican pork I will make up a sauce buy using the jamaican paste.jamacin seasoning and worcheshire.Mix that all together
and add lots of brown sugar at least a cup.You are going to have to do this by taste.Then add your cooked pulled pork to the mixiture and simmer for at least an hour.I have had better results with just grilled pork than smoked.HAPPY BBQ

I've tried jerk pork butt once and I intend to try it again. The one time I tried it, my jerk marinade/paste lost most of its heat (2 habaneros) during the cook. I was very disappointed. Unfortunately, I didn't save any to add to the pulled pork which is something I will definitely do next time. Also, someone recommended a 50:50 mix of cherry and hickory to approximate the flavor of pimento wood smoke.

I've got some country style ribs-loin cut in the freezer that I will jerk and smoke probably in the next couple of weeks.

When I do mine, I'm going to throw allspice berries on the coals (pimento is allspice). I hope it will give it a interesting little authentic kick.

I tried a jerk chicken rub from dean and deluca. Bleah! No heat at all.

The jerk pork turned out great. I used the jerk paste recipe from "How to Grill" and marinaded 24 hours. Basted a couple of times with the jerk paste thinned with apple juice. Cooked the butt as normal, low and slow. The bark was especially dark, probably due to the sugar in the paste, but not burned. Bark still had good heat, but I added more paste after pulling to get a little heat throughout the meat. Everyone loved it. One guest has been bugging me for two days to do another overnight cook, so he can take home a whole butt for himself.

I highly recommend this as an alternative to more traditional Q flavored pork.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back