Jeff's Naked Rub and Special Sauce

Scott C.

TVWBB Super Fan
I've tested a few rubs I've found on the internet, and listed here as well, and many are quite good. I have stumbled a few times folks mentioning Jeff's recipes from SMF. I can't find any mention here, so I was just wondering if anyone has tried them? I've heard alot of people rave about them - on his site - but I haven't seen any characterizations on what they are like, ie: Hot, spicey, mild, sweet, etc. Any thoughts if they are worth the $20 to get the recipe? I've never contemplated paying for a recipe, but if it's worth it, I guess I would to try it.

I actually bought his rub and sauce recipe and would agree, they are both great! Once you see them you'll be pretty surprised because they are pretty simple but, simple is good. I also think it was a great kick off point for me in experimenting on my own rub and sauce recipes. The sauce has a good tang/sweet and spice and the rub is a real good all around rub for pretty much any type of meat.

I think it's a worthy investment in your BBQ learning.

I bought Jeff's recipes a couple of years ago. His rub recipe is too hot for my taste. I ended up backing off on the black pepper and eliminating the cayenne. I have modified Jeff's recipe and get rave reviews. I'm glad that I bought Jeff's secret. His BBQ sauce is excellent and his rub was a great place to start developing my own.

I like Jeff's web site. He has many good articles on the site. I didn't like the rub and told him so. He refunded my money promptly. You can't ask for a better response. Naturally, I will NOT use his rub (that would be dishonest). However, rubs and sauces are personal choices. I use the BRITU rub on my pork these days as it is to my personal choice (the best ribs I have cooked - and my wife and guests agree). However, many of my friends like more or less spice depending on the individual. I really like Cook's Country Memphis rub but it was too spicy for my wife and some of my friends. So-o-o-o, there you go.

FWIW
Dale53

Back