Jamie Purviance's Paella.

I love Paella - my Spanish mother used to make it all the time. Haven't had any for years and after watching the Bobby Flay throwdown I've been jonesing to do this on the grill Might just work it with the 14" CI skillet, but may just look around for a paella pan. Either way it's gonna happen. I like the rice a little more dried out, but loved the photos and wouldn't have had any trouble wolfing a serving of your down.

Well I had to give it a try.

This is a great recipe,A very unique taste. I diffently would do this again.
Instead of using the smoky Joe I modify the WSM and call it Smoky Chuck!
Thanks for the Recipe.

Rekindling an old thread, but I just made Mr. Purviances Paella tonight, and WOW what an unbelievable dish. I swear it could be one of the best dishes I have ever made. A couple of bud light limes (yes a sissy beer) and man I was in food heaven tonight.

Doesn't the tomato acid ruin the seasoning on your cast iron pans? I do a similar dish, closer to jambalaya in an enameled CI Dutch oven on the stove.
I want to try this but might need a steel pan or this could be an excuse to buy one of those mexican "plow disk blade" (discada) jobs.

010_o9es.jpg

If you CI pan is seasoned it should not be a problem. I plan on making this dish. I had this dish a month ago and it was so good.

I just tried making paella for the first time a few weeks ago using Alton Brown's recipe. He suggests doing it on the grill, but it was raining way too hard to consider it. So I made it on the stove.

Am I missing anything having not cooked it outside? I just can't see how any grill flavor gets into the rice.

icon_eek.gif

Wow... now i know what we'll be having for the get together on saturday.... Must find a large enough CI pan now. You guys mentioned seasoning a CI pan. How do you do that? Just with some olive oil?

Its 10:13 pm and now I'm considering firing up the grill. I have Real Grilling by Jamie and have yet to find a bad dish in it.

I was watching Tyler Florence on the cooking channel make some. I told the missus I wanted to makesome and she said OK. When I saw this thread,I showed it to her and told her this was the recipe I wanted to make. She started drooling! We have our ten year anniversary coming up. I'm thinking paella!

Just bumping this as I did it again on Friday. It's such a fun cook - even though I did it inside (grilled the chicken though). I used chorizo instead of italian sausage and browned it with the peppers. Also added a touch of Adobo seasoning to the chicken before I grilled it.

Thanks to Don for the inspiration and to Rita for sharing the original recipe. I just enjoyed some of the leftovers for a quick dinner before the Giants game.
icon_smile.gif

Nice looking rice everybody!

I make paella all the time on my Performer in the summer. A couple of things I'd suggest:

1. Get a real paella pan. They're dirt cheap, and they really take the rice to a new level. The edges get crispy while the inside stays moist but separate. I use mine for stuffing too for that same reason. Season it like cast iron and you're off.

2. Smoke the sucker! Real paella in Spain is cooked over orange trimmings, and those suckers smolder when they get cooler. I always throw a chunk of fruit wood into the coals when I close the lid to let it finish baking. The extra blast of smoke is wonderful.

3. Look up Jos? Andrés' recipe for salsa salmorra. It's a smoker, spicier, garlic paella base. I make about 2 cups at a time and freeze them in single serving sizes. That way, I'm ready to go with paella at a moment's notice without much trouble. Add meat, rice, veggies, and smoke, and you've got a weeknight party.

Stan

...and good Spanish wine or American beer, of course...

all I can say is wow!!

definitely on the list.....will probably substitute Chorizo as the sausage component

Back