I've spent $20 on worse things - Genesis Jr

Andy Rue

This popped up on my local FB marketplace. I definitely did not need another grill, but I know these are somewhat rare. So I brought it home for $20. It needs work, and is missing a few things, but the burners look okay, and the grates are in good shape. Cool to see one of these Gennie Jr's in person.

IMG_6644.JPG

IMG_6645.JPG

That's a GREAT pick-up. People say they don't cook all that great. I don't know, since I have never tried. I would say that if you are doing this for yourself, it may be a bit of a challenging restore candidate because parts may involve custom fabrication. But if you get it done, you will have a special and unique grill. Looking at your pictures, you at least have grates and hopefully burners intact. The tables are a relatively easy fix and it looks like the rest of the exterior is there. Thermometer is a cheap replacement.

I wouldn't try to restore and flip. If you were looking to flip I would just sell it as is and let someone else figure out how to get it done.

Thanks! I've had a pretty good summer when it comes to grills. Started off by picking up a blue Gen 2 Performer for $70, then found a Genesis 3000 on the side of the road, and then this Genesis Jr. I'm not planning on doing a crazy resto on this Jr, but I have enough parts to replace all the wood that's missing, and the thermometer, and give it a good cleaning.

I did my typical dive into the interwebs looking for more info on the Jr. I did see some criticisms on its cooking capabilities, but I did find one comment that sung its praises. I found a post on weberkettleclub.com, and the comment was from a user named 56MPG. Here's that comment.

"Hands down one of the most useful gassers Weber made. Heats up like a champ. Easy to do offset with one burner lit. Great for roti cooking. Seems to sip propane so a tank goes a long way. Easy to move. The only grill my wife will use alone. I could go on. I honestly use it more than my Summit Grill Center. I have a three burner waiting for a restore, but I am asking myself “why bother”?

So yes, I like the Gennie Jr a lot. Make the trip. I would love to find a black as a backup myself."

Here's a link to the entire post.

Got mine as wedding gift 30 years ago. Never had a problem , rotisseried alot. It wore out. Then I restored it. Had cut down burners heli arced to right length , the rest went well , new wood and all. I have Z bars if you need them.

Got mine as wedding gift 30 years ago. Never had a problem , rotisseried alot. It wore out. Then I restored it. Had cut down burners heli arced to right length , the rest went well , new wood and all. I have Z bars if you need them.

Very kind of you to offer! I have a few parts grills right now, with wood and Z bars, so I'm solid in that department. Really appreciate it though!

Back