I've ruined two Polders!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Evers

TVWBB Fan
Am I getting the probe too close to the fire or what? I left the probe on my polder in the meat on during two cooks and both Polders no longer register the temp. I thought they were made to do that. Can you buy just the probes? Where can I get one??? I think the actual unit itself is OK. All the other stuff on it works fine.
Larry

Larry,

You can get replcement probes online from Amazon.com.

I have two Polder's and have yet to have any issues with them.

I keep hearing that if you get water into/near where the probe and the braided cable come together, that the probe will be in-accurate.

I also have read, that if this happens, to "steep" the probe and a length of the cable in
hot oil. The premise being that the oil will force out any water, and provide a protective covering. As I have not had any issues with mine, I have yet to do this. However, should my probes begin to have a problem, I'll try the oil.

Mike.

P.S. I currently have some replacement probes on order for "just in case".

I try to keep my probes in the air and away from a solid heat source such as the grate or meat. I want to measure the air temperature.

I store all of my thermometers in a plastic container. I then add a few pieces of dried pasta. The pasta absorbs moisture and keeps them fine. I leave mine outside all the time. They frequently get wet or snowed on. This tip has worked great for me.

Larry as one who has burnmed through several while roasting in the weber kettle (though none on the WSM) I feel your pain. What does the unit say when the probes are plugged in? On my Poulder they said HI and that was all they would say. If that is the case they are most likely fried. The best replacement option is first to call Poulder and see if they will send out a one time replacement barring that the Taylor probes are interchangeable and at alot cheaper at $2.50/probe they are just another investment in temprature control. here is the string from a conversation that will give you ordering instructions.

http://tvwbb.101inc.com/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001496

I fried one Polder probe and semi-fried a second Polder probe on my gas grill before I realized what was going on. I was cooking a Beer Butt Chicken and ran the probe over the lit section of the grill without thinking. Withing a few minutes, I saw my digital readout fluctuating wildly from 60 to 360, but I was in the middle of washing dishes and so ignored it for a few minutes. Then it just read "HI", I knew my bird wasn't done, so I pulled it out and replaced it with another probe while I tried to figure out what was wrong with the first probe. I noticed that 12-15 inches of the wire was brown and stiff. I thought "what the heck?" Then I noticed my digital readout was again fluctuating wildly on the second (and my last) probe. The lightbulb in my brain came on and I ran out and sacrificed my fingers to pull the my last probe out of grill. The top 12-15 inches was also stiff and brown, but it still functions. I tested it in the boiling water test and it is actually was more accurate than before I burned the wire. The first probe will only read "HI" so it ended up in the trash. The wires simply cannot take direct heat from a hot fire.

Hi,

The probes are only rated to 400F and based on the probe construction and the sensing element involved that would be that rate for just a few minutes. 350-375F I believe is a safer high temperature and more conservative range. Exposure to direct flame and high temps will only cause these probes to fail.

The probes and digital thermometers are all made by one company in China called ETL and the probes themselves utilize low cost glass thermistor beads as the sensing element.

Taylor Instruments identified a problem a year or so ago in regards to the probes manufactured by ETL in that they were very prone to failure due to the way they attached the inner conductor wire to the metal probe tip. Taylor spec'd out how the probe is to be built and improved their probes reliability. The other manufacturers (Polder, Pyrex, etc.) may have not discovered this problem.

I have found the probes for the single probe devices to be interchangeable between manufacturers and spares can be ordered from the link noted above and also from Taylor.

If you want to order a new Taylor probe the cost is $2.50 per probe. Here are the particulars:

===========================================
Taylor Model #1470 additional probes are available at the listed price of $2.50 each. Taylor does not take credit cards or COD. Personal check or money order only. Please somewhere on the check or money order write the part number: 1470RP

Please make it out to the following and mail:

Taylor Precision Products
2220 Entrada del Sol
Las Cruces, NM 88001
Attn: A. Salas

Once Taylor receives your letter Taylor will drop an order for how many probes that are needed. Taylor pays for the shipping.
=========================================

I tried numerous times to contact Polder for information regarding their digital thermometers and countles e-mails, phone calls and letters still remain unanswered to this day.

Taylor has always responded the next day in all my inquiries.

Regards,
PrestonD

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Evers:
[qb]I left the probe on my polder in the meat on during two cooks and both Polders no longer register the temp. I thought they were made to do that.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, they are made to do that. You've either got some defective probes, or as others have mentioned, the cables got fried or moisture got inside the probe.

See the Resources page for info on ordering replacement probes from Amazon or Polder.

Regards,
Chris

After reading all your comments, I realize I simply fried them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Thanks for all the input!!
Larry

PrestonD - and other's who may know:

Safe enough to assume that these inexpensive probes from Taylor will work just fine in a Maverick brand "Remote Check" thermometer?

Taylor sounds like the way to go. I have had a couple of Polder probes on order for over a week from Amazon and just see that they are "shipping soon." I presume Amazon is waiting for enough people to order, then they will order from the manufacturer. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BruceM:
[qb]I presume Amazon is waiting for enough people to order, then they will order from the manufacturer.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I don't think Amazon operates that way. There's probably just a delay in Polder getting probes to Amazon.

Regards,
Chris

Bruce,

I have Poulders, Taylors and Maverick remote chek (Branded by williams and sonoma) it is my conclusion after swapping probes numerous times that they are definately interchangeable. how much does Amazon want for the additional Probes? I would think the $2.50 /probe from Taylor would be hard to beat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
[qb]Bruce,

I have Poulders, Taylors and Maverick remote chek (Branded by williams and sonoma) it is my conclusion after swapping probes numerous times that they are definately interchangeable. how much does Amazon want for the additional Probes? I would think the $2.50 /probe from Taylor would be hard to beat.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Oh yeah, it is hard to beat. Amazon wants $7.99 each. I will write out a $5 check to Taylor and cancel the $15.98 order I have with Amazon. Thanks.

Regarding Preston's above Taylor probe info, I was told that the Taylor probes now cost $5 each and have been at that price for a couple of months now.

My LED's are fried. I can hardly read the numbers. I got some moisture in the display. I guess I have to buy a new one.

I've had it with Polders and clones. They are just too unreliable. The probes are the Achilles heel. It's hard to believe that with all of the high technology available they are unable to get them right.

Thanks Theresa L for the price update...I got that price in Sept or Oct so they just must have raised it right after...

Jim, I have had my 2 Taylors for over a year now...and they meet the 32 F ice water and 210 F boiling temp tests within 1-2 degrees. My Polder also reads the same too. I am careful to not expose them to excess moisture both the probe and the displays...

PrestonD

I have the Maverick Remote Check that I need two new probes for. I have tried the probes from my other polders and the read way off with the remote check. Has anybody tried the taylor with the remote check?

I've ruined my first dual thermo polder /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif , it's not actually the probe that's the caused of the problem. The back of this polder have a magnet on it and I stick it to the side of the smoker, immediately got rapid increase in temp. and never went down after /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Got a second one($29.00 Dual) and made sure that it's at least 2 feet away /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Loving it, got good reading at the grate and the meat at the same time /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Currently smoking a turkey for dinner at the ff temp. dome-top/grate-meat = 350-300-164, maybe another hour to go.

Happy holidays everyone, tis the time to be smoking /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back