I've Been Gifted

Larry Corall

TVWBB Super Fan
Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here ...
Last night, when wife got home from work, she handed me a fairly heavy paper shopping bag and told me "Mike said this is for you." Mike is a co-worker who hunts and fishes. Unfortunately I don't but love game and fish of all types.
Inside the bag was a boneless 3 1/2 lb. venison roast, 4 nice venison steaks, and about 4 lbs. of Lake Michigan coho. All vac packed and flash frozen. Venison is in the freezer for another day but salmon is defrosting in the refrigerator. I'll make a cure tonight (after 30+ years of brining fish for cold smoking, I've found that I like curing better), cure overnight, and cold smoke tomorrow on my MasterBuilt digital electric smoker.
Of course I'll send some of the finished salmon back to Mike for him to enjoy.

I just made venison loin chops on grill last week. I used Steven Raichlen's drunken steak marinade (bourbon, soy sauce, sugar, dark sesame oil, ginger, and garlic) and they turned out fantastic. I cooked them about medium rare and they were nice and tender with no gamey flavor at all.

I cured the salmon overnight and it's been in the Masterbuilt since 8:00 A.M. Just added the 2nd load of cherry chips and checked the fish - looking good. I'll know some time later this afternoon how good it will be.

Lucky guy, sounds like a few meals in the near future will be fantastic.. Would love to see some pics of the salmon though if you have any!

I actually got a picture - wife will need to show me how to transfer from the camera and download to here. I am technologically challenged!
Salmon turned out good but not great. I've done better. Got good smoke and nice color but I dried the tail pieces a little to much and that is usually my favorite piece.

Back