Its Venison TIME

Patrick Redmond

TVWBB Member
Ok has anyone pulled a Veni shoulder?? I was thinking about pulling some since I was donated some by a buddy of mine. Freshly shot
icon_smile.gif

Any way just wondering if anyone has smoked a veni shoulder/butt and how it came out or if any recomendations could be made.

thnx in advance
P

Hey Patrick, congratulations on your score. As I am sure you already know, you are dealing with a very tasty but also very lean piece of meat. We have not done one on the wsm, but have done many in the old crock pot. The problem I think you may encounter is that any fat and moisture in the shoulder will render out and fall into the pan, leaving you with some venison jerky which is tasty but probably not what you are looking for. What we have done in the crock pot is add some jardinerre (sp?) veggies and peppers in oil. That at least gives the illusion of moisture as the oil coats the strands of meat. If you are really wanting to smoke it, I would at least brine it in order to supercharge the meat with as much moisture as you can and maybe inject it as well. Hope this helps. Good luck!

I'm with Shane. I think venison is too lean and doesn't have the right structure to pull like pork shoulder or beef chuck.

Paul

I'm no expert, but what the others say makes sense to me. I love venison, but one thing it's not is fatty. Pulled beef/pork works so well b/c it's so fatty and tough to begin with that the low & slow is perfect for it.

I could eat just about every last ounce of meat on a deer. Gosh darn that's some good stuff. Burgers, jerky, steaks, on and on. Even a little heart in the fry pan. Yum yum. I'll leave the brain to others though, not my thang.

good luck! Let us know what happens.

ok all that makes sence but what about larding it with cords of fat? think that could make difference for the moisture content?

its not like we eat pulled products cause they are OVERLY healthy
icon_smile.gif

Patrick, larding makes lots of sense. I did one a few years back and did lard it. Very tasty and moist.

I saw a video the other day where someone took a venison rump roast and sliced it so it rolled out like a carpet.

They seasoned it and rolled it back up with bacon and smoked it in an electric smoker.

The finished product looked great; however, I'm skeptical since it's such a lean cut.

I'm willing to try it though. I love experimenting with the WSM.

My best successes with deer meat though have been through heavy marinating and stir frying.

Another method you could try:

From what I've been hearing, the smoky flavor usually occurs during the early stages of a cook on the WSM. So -

Why not put it on the WSM for an hour or two, and then maybe braise it in liquid (maybe some bacon strips draped over it, then cover with beef broth or new red wine, and finish in a roaster / Dutch oven / wrapped in heavy-duty foil in the oven)?

within the first part of the time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> ok all that makes sence but what about larding it with cords of fat? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This may add a small amount of flavor (from fat) but no moisture to the meat, but if you're still after a meat that is pullable I don't believe this will do it. There's a difference between the liquid that comes from rendered fat and a liquid that is primarily water from muscle tissue. I think of moist meat falling in the latter category. My gut tells me the meat (venison) structure is just wrong for pulling. Adding fat like bacon to lean meat imparts some flavor, but due to the physics involved in the cook process, little if none of the fat will be absorbed into the host piece. Think about how we work hard at retaining moisture in a piece of meat as it cooks. The moisture is driven out by the cooking process itself. This force works counter to what you're trying to achieve with the larding.

Paul

Back