It's Slow-Cooker Time

Manuel's Chile Verde

I only make one thing in the slow cooker. There was once a restaurant/bar in Cocoa Beach called Desperados, long gone. I went there weekly and would always order the same, wonderful thing - Manuel's Chile Verde. It had good heat and wonderful flavor. I bugged the head bartender to get me the recipe. Some years after it closed, I saw her working another joint and she told me she saw Manuel and got me the recipe. The problem (for me) was that it had no quantities - only ingredients.

I started fiddling with it and came up with this. It may not be perfect but it's close. (y)

Ingredients
  • 2 lb boston butt
  • 4 large poblanos
  • 4-5 jalapenos (heat varies on these)
  • 1 1/2 c crushed, unspiced canned tomatoes - blended
  • 2 c water
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 8 cloves garlic - crushed and chopped
  • 1 c chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 large onion - chopped
  • 1/2 Tbsp pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp salt
Prep
  • Trim and cube the pork
  • Fry, peel and chop the peppers. I roast them over a gas flame until the skins are black, peel, remove membranes and seeds, chop
  • Brown the pork - add salt, pepper, garlic, onion, peppers - cook until tender
  • Put the pork mix in the slow cooker. Add tomatoes, cilantro, cumin & water
  • Cook until meat is muy tierna and the veggies mixed.
Serve w/tortillas, refries, etc.
muy tierna ? Translation please - lol

Kinda slide the SC under the counter when I got our instant pot, love that sucker. 0 to meal in about 20-30 minuets. Made every thing from chili to mac & cheese and lots of rice dishes.
Although I will never give up my indoor Weber SC.

Kinda slide the SC under the counter when I got our instant pot, love that sucker. 0 to meal in about 20-30 minuets. Made every thing from chili to mac & cheese and lots of rice dishes.
OK I give up, what is a indoor WSC? lol

FYI, a slow cooker is meant for people that have other things to do than stand over a stove or grill for long periods of time. You can start them in the morning and go about your business and not have to worry about dinner (or breakfast, lunch etc.). Rich, why don't you start an instant pot thread for those that have one?

Last edited:
OK I give up, what is a indoor WSC? lol

FYI, a slow cooker is meant for people that have other things to do than stand over a stove or grill for long periods of time. You can start them in the morning and go about your business and not have to worry about dinner (or breakfast, lunch etc.). Rich, why don't you start an instant pot thread for those that have one?
Made by an old man with way to much time on his hands.101_5601.JPG

I made this back in 2011 even tho I didn't have all the ingredients. Like tomatoes, yogurt and cilantro which would have made it taste so much better. So, this is going in the make soon folder and we will give it another try.

Slow Cooker Chicken Curry

4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1" piece fresh ginger, grated
2 TB. red wine vinegar
2 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
Kosher salt
freshly ground pepper
8 small boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 small onion, cut into 1/2" wedges
1 cup long-grain white rice
2 tomatoes, diced
Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro for serving

1. In a 5 to 6 qt. slow cooker, whisk together the garlic, ginger, vinegar, curry powder, cumin, 2 TB. water, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper
2. Add the chicken and onions and toss to coat. Cook, covered, until the chicken is cooked through and very tender, 6 to 8 hrs. on low or 4 to 5 hrs. on high.
3. Cook rice to be done when chicken is done.
4. Gently fold the tomatoes into the chicken mixture and serve over the rice. Top with the yogurt and cilantro, if desired.
5. Instead of chicken, try lamb stew meat or beef chuck (cut into 2" pieces). Serves 4

Source: Woman's Day mag. September 2011

Rich, just saw this on another forum.

"I put vegetables in my instant pot, pushed "cake". When they were done they were still vegetables. What did I do wrong?" lol

Last edited:
I make four things in the slow cooker:

1. Balsamic short ribs (like above). Super awesome.

2. Bone in turkey breast. I you don't care about crisp skin and just want juicy turkey meat, this is the way to do it. Easy and idiot proof.

3. Chicken or turkey stock. After cutting the meat off #2 turkey breast or a couple of Costco rotisserie chickens, throw the bones, skin and other bits in the crock pot. Fill with water, salt and pepper. Simmer anywhere from 8 to 24 hours.

4. Carnitas. When I buy two pork butts from Costco, I usually smoke one for pulled pork and crock pot the other to make carnitas. Freezes great. The key is to crisp the carnitas under the broiler before serving.

Thanks;)

We try new recipes every so often, but mostly our Crock-Pot is a dedicated corned beef cooker. It obviously doesn't crisp the fat like roasting would, but the convenience factor can't be beat.

Dinner tonight

Crockpot Beef Carnitas

1 lb. beef flank steak
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup beer
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot/slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
Remove meat from juice and shred with a fork.
Discard all but 2 TB. of liquid, combine with beef.
Serve on corn tortillas with pico de gallo and sour cream.

Source: CLBB - Elisabeth13 - 9-18-07

Dinner tonight

Crockpot Beef Carnitas

1 lb. beef flank steak
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup beer
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot/slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.

Looks easy enough I copied and filed it in my crock pot recipes.

Dinner tonight

Crockpot Beef Carnitas

1 lb. beef flank steak
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup beer
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp. pepper

"Super easy" is what DH said when I asked how was this to prepare. "Really good" is what he said when I asked him what he thought of it. :)

Came across this recipe that we made 5 years ago. Made the whole recipe. My notes has this notation. LOL "The recipe says serves 6 and there is very little left. Yes, we pigged out it was that good."

Hungarian Goulash

1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork, cut into 1" cubes
1 lb. small new red potatoes, halved
2 medium onions, halved, thinly sliced
1/4 cup water
3 TB. ketchup
1 TB. paprika
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. black pepper
3 cups shredded red cabbage
2 TB. flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. caraway seed
chopped parsley, for garnish, if desired

Combine pork through cabbage in a 3 1/2 qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours or until pork and potatoes are tender. Combine flour, sour cream and caraway seed. Stir into pork mixture and blend thoroughly. Serve garnished with fresh parsley if desired. Serves 6

Source: ?

Pepper Stout Beef in the Slow Cooker is wonderful.

Ingredients

• 3-4 lb - Chuck Roast
  • 2 - Bell Peppers (chopped)
  • 1 - Large red onion (chopped)
  • 6 - Garlic Cloves (chopped)
  • 1/4 Cup - Worcestershire sauce
  • 20 oz - Guinness Extra Stout
  • 1-2 - Fresh Jalapeno (chopped)
  • 2 TBS - Black Pepper
  • 2 TBS - Kosher Salt
Directions
  • Very liberally season both sides of roast with salt and pepper.
  • Brown for 5 minutes on each side in a heavy skillet with a little oil.
  • Transfer roast to crock pot, add remaining ingredients.
  • Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until fork tender.
  • Serve with a crusty bread with your choice of blue cheese and mayonnaise or Swiss cheese and horseradish.

Hi, you must be a mind reader. I just told DH the other day that I would like something cooked with Guinness. Sounds good. Copied and in the Make Soon folder.
Thank you!!!!!!

I appreciate that. Here's the direct link with video.
I will break it out when I need to cook for a large crowd and don't have much time to put into it.

Ciabatta bread works well. Cheddar and horse radish or just plain blue cheese seem to go well. I will let the liquids cook down more than he does in the video.

Last edited:
I appreciate that. Here's the direct link with video.
I will break it out when I need to cook for a large crowd and don't have much time to put into it.

Ciabatta bread works well. Cheddar and horse radish or just plain blue cheese seem to go well. I will let the liquids cook down more than he does in the video.
Guinness and he puts it on my favorite bread/roll, Ciabatta and blue cheese for DH. Can't ask for more. lol Thanks again, your a sweety.

Another quick and easy recipe to get ready for the slow cooker. When we make it, we will only use 1/2 recipe.

Slow-Cooked Ham

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. ground mustard
1 tsp. prepared horseradish
2 Tb. plus 1/4 cup cola, divided
1 fully cooked boneless ham (5 to 6 lbs.) cut in half

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, ground mustard, horseradish and 2 TB. cola. Rub over the ham. Transfer to a 5 qt. slow cooker; add remaining 1/4 cup cola to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low until a thermometer reads 140F, 6-8 hours.

Source: Taste of Home mag. April, 2020

Back