Italian Chicken Thighs

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Well, my 2 day screened in porch "clean-up" project is going on 8 days. Finally got a night in front of my grill...

Threw on some chicken thigh that were brined for 1 hour and then marinated in Italian dressing for 45 minutes. Grilled up some shrooms drizzled with garlic oil and added some leftover pasta salad.

Off.

IMG_2973.jpg

Shrooms on.

IMG_2974.jpg

Off.

IMG_2975.jpg

Plated.

IMG_2976.jpg

Good meal. The chicken could have seen a lot more time in the Italian dressing but I didn't have it. Mushrooms were great...My wife's pasta salad stole the show...It's a simple, Cook's Country recipe but is the best I've had, ever.

Nice looking meal once again! I'm impressed because any kind of a "project day" for me usually results in absolutely no chance to cook! Since they were thighs, I'd skip the brine (assuming it wasn't a flavor brine) and use that time in the marinade. jmo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
Since they were thighs, I'd skip the brine (assuming it wasn't a flavor brine) and use that time in the marinade. jmo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Excellent advice...and you're right, I should have had them in the dressing the whole time.

Don, you did it again! No way on this EARTH can anyone say your dinner plates or cooks are ordinary... Simply Fantastic!

Hey Don..Looks fantastic. How do you like that Williams and Sonoma (I think) grill basket? I have been looking at them versus the Weber grill basket or Weber grill pan. I thought the W$S grill basket looked hard to clean and for the same price I can get both the Weber Grill pan and the Weber Grill basket. So right now I am favoring the Weber basket/pan. What do you think?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike in Md:
Hey Don..Looks fantastic. How do you like that Williams and Sonoma (I think) grill basket? I have been looking at them versus the Weber grill basket or Weber grill pan. I thought the W$S grill basket looked hard to clean and for the same price I can get both the Weber Grill pan and the Weber Grill basket. So right now I am favoring the Weber basket/pan. What do you think? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, It's pricey but it was a gift. I love it. Use it all the time for anything that would fall through the grates; mushrooms, asparagus, sliced onions, Brussels sprouts, etc. As for cleaning, I don't usually. I treat it like the grill grates and will preheat it before I put the food in and everything usually burns off. I think we ran it through the dish washer last week without any problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Petrman:
Great looking meal...can you share the recipe for your wifes dish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Dave. Here it is...nothing special but it is really good.

From Cook's Country

Cool and Creamy Macaroni Salad
Serves 8 to 10

A staple side dish at many barbecues, macaroni salad wraps pasta elbows and chopped celery and onion in a creamy dressing. Or it should—most macaroni salads are pretty dry and bland because as it sits, the pasta soaks up the dressing. We wanted a creamy macaroni salad that stayed that way. Here’s what we discovered:

Test Kitchen Discoveries:
* Cook the pasta until just tender—not all the way—and leave a little moisture on it. The pasta will absorb the water rather than the creamy dressing.
* Add a fair amount of lemon juice to the salad to balance the richness of the mayonnaise.
* This is one of the rare occasions in which we prefer garlic powder to fresh garlic because the flavor isn’t as sharp and the powder dissolves into the smooth dressing.
* Make sure to thoroughly season the water in which the pasta is cooked; otherwise the pasta’s flavor will be bland. We recommend 1 tablespoon of salt per gallon of water.

Recipe:
Don’t drain the macaroni too well before adding the other ingredients--a little extra moisture will keep the salad from drying out. If you’ve made the salad ahead of time, simply stir in a little warm water to loosen the texture.

Table salt
1 pound elbow macaroni
1/2 small red onion , minced
1 rib celery , minced
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley leaves
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
Ground black pepper

1. Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot. Add 1 tablespoon salt and macaroni and cook until nearly tender, about 5 minutes. Drain in colander and rinse with cold water until cool, then drain briefly so that macaroni remains moist. Transfer to large bowl.

2. Stir in onion, celery, parsley, lemon juice, mustard, garlic powder, and cayenne, and let sit until flavors are absorbed, about 2 minutes. Add mayonnaise and let sit until salad texture is no longer watery, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve. (The salad can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Check consistency and seasonings before serving.)

Back