It is done

See my hand cut NY steaks thread I posted last evening. Those were just under 2”, around 22 oz each steak. Hard sear up front, then the sides. Temps were around 102° after the searing part. Lots of flame and fire. Then went indirect for around 9-12 min to get to 133° and pulled and rested the steaks. Perfection!

Kosher salt and chunky black pepper all pressed into the steaks. Gently oiled with cooking olive oil. The seat atop the 1100°F CI burner.

I’ll get to the other items soon. In a very busy and demanding week.

Those look excellent, that char is amazing! Was the grate in the upper position? Link to CI grate? Thanks!!

Those look excellent, that char is amazing! Was the grate in the upper position? Link to CI grate? Thanks!!
Coal grate in upper position. JDXL and some residual KPro briqs all in the CBs to keep the fire dense and concentrated. Used around 7/8ths a regular tall Weber chimney to light everything.

Note, using the lower coal position will never get this sear as you need direct and super hot flames and heat to get this sear. My laser temp gun showed 1100° at the grate/fire on direct measure.

CI grate link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZPNGLM5/?tag=tvwb-20

This CI is all cast iron. No porcelain coating. Needs basic maintenance and oiling. Worth the effort IMO as it produces amazing results (nice char and flavor).

Back