It came, it saw, it kicked some...chicken!

justin.williams

TVWBB Super Fan
Well after about a year of looking and reading and really wanting a WSM mine finally came on Thursday. I put it together in the living room and told the wife that we were going to make chicken that night...then it started to pour. So, as it turns out, yesterday was a great day for smoking up here in the mountains of WNC. Went to Sam's club, got some meat, and set that bad boy up. Mowed the lawn first, because i didn't think the new WSM deserved to come out to a over grown lawn (actually it didn't even really need to be cut that bad, but i just wanted everything to look nice for the WSM). Did the chicken pretty much as described on the website.

Brand new in all her glory!

Started with making a rub with all the usual suspects

Birds all dusted up

half a chimney of unlit on the bottom

Full chimney of lit on top and then another half of unlit on top of that. Once everything was fully engaged I put on some apple and hickory chunks.

Birds on foiled water pan no water

Temp sat at about 325 the whole time. about 40 mins. in I put on some corn

After about an hour i sauced the birds up a with a little sauce i make, let it set for about 10 mins. and then took them off. probed in the thigh and the temp read 168. plated it up with the corn and some mac and cheese. I've got to tell you the chicken came out wonderful. Very moist, not one bit over or under cooked. the weber held temp great, and in fact, about five hours later it was still sitting at 325! I love this thing! I'm doing some butts and ribs today. I've already got the thing dialed in to 250 and it's just coasting! I'll start another tread about today's cook. I just want to say thanks to Chris and everyone on this site, all the info and knowledge shared here is really top-notch! Thanks guys

Last edited:
Congrats on your first cook.
Chicken looks great I'm happy to hear everything turned out great!!

I know the weathers beautiful on your side of the state because it is here. Whats your sauce recipe if you don't mind me asking.

Now you have done it! You have spoiled that new WSM, mowing the grass before you use it.
Now ALL of the WSM,s are going to expect to have freshly mowed grass before every cook!
Whats up with that? Oh......nice chicken!

I know the weathers beautiful on your side of the state because it is here. Whats your sauce recipe if you don't mind me asking.
Hey Neil, Yeah great weather this whole weekend really. I'm afraid I don't really have a recipe for the sauce, in terms of exact amounts, I start off with tomato sauce, cut it with some water (i like it a little on the thinner side) and put in all of those "usual suspects" until it tastes right. I also put in some molasses, honey, and apple cider vinegar. I've been fooling around with it for a few years now, so i just do it by taste, and then let it simmer a while. It comes out pretty good though

Hey Neil, Yeah great weather this whole weekend really. I'm afraid I don't really have a recipe for the sauce, in terms of exact amounts, I start off with tomato sauce, cut it with some water (i like it a little on the thinner side) and put in all of those "usual suspects" until it tastes right. I also put in some molasses, honey, and apple cider vinegar. I've been fooling around with it for a few years now, so i just do it by taste, and then let it simmer a while. It comes out pretty good though
Sounds familiar. I just throw stuff together using vinegar. Must be a Carolina thing.

Back