It’s 4 a.m. The butt is on.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
I was going to put it on earlier but did not finish working on the new kitchen cabinets until 4. I started working nights a few months ago. So I do not have a rough time, I do not change (much) my schedule during the week.

I found butts for an acceptable price at the fancy grocery store. I don’t usually go to that grocery store but wanted to check out their assortment of rice. I had been searching for a couple of types of rice - better rice. The stores I usually go to don’t have much of a good selection. Don’t like the flavor of "caucasian" white rice.

Anyway, I found butts in the meat department for a buck twenty-nine. Close enough. The in-laws should be stopping by today. Good enough reason for smoked meat.

It is my first smoke of the season. After getting the cabinets bolted together, the counter top screwed down I grab a pan, the butt and my butt rub. Only a table spoon of rub in the jar. Woopse. I dump the remaining rub in a bowl, add most of a jar paprika, too much habanaro pepper, a bit of red cayanne pepper, a bit ancho pepper, cumin, black pepper, salt, brown sugar, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. More paprika. Mix with a fork. Nothing measured; looks right. Tastes a bit too hot. I add a bit more brown sugar. Fill up the jar that was almost empty, use the rest to rub the butt.

The fire is hot. I set up the smoker put the butt on. Brush the top with mustard (over the rub). Flip. Dash more rub. Coat that side with mustard also.

It is 4:30 a.m. The butt is cooking. The white rice (pure Basmati) was great. By 5:30 I am shutting down the vents for a long cook. The side body of the WSM is too hot to keep my hand on and I can keep my palm on the top but it does hurt. Temp is ok.

I like your way of checking temp.
icon_smile.gif
I do use a therm but not always. I also set my hand on the top right next to the handle and count. Anyplace between the count of 3 and 6 and I think my temp is good. What is your hand method?

DAVE!!

Great hearing from you!! Lemme guess...apple wood? You do realize that the WSM can cook in the winter time too? No reason to suffer that long. I can't say that I trust my fingertip temperature guide, but I do use it to validate.

I'm sure the cook'll go great!

Dave,

Not sure you have a Trader Joe's in your neck of the woods. They have Brown Rice that's called California Aromatic Brown Rice. Once you taste this stuff, you will never go back to white rice. This stuff is very nutty tasting and a heck of a lot better for you than white rice (5 grams fiber per serving).

Great stuff on the bbq...

Re: the rice...have you ever tried "Jasmine?" It's Thai and is a lot like basmati, only much more flavorful (imo). I used to work at a rice mill in college (we didn't mill it, just packaged it for resale) and a lot of the guys would pop it in their mouth and chew it raw. Can be a little pricey though.

Back