Ist Tri Tip on WSM recipe and pics

MKEvenson

TVWBB Wizard
I have been doin a lot of reading about cooking Tri Tip, especially since the Santa Maria Wild West BBQ festival is coming up. I decided to use the WSM low and slow finished with a "reverse char" also on the WSM. So here is what I did.

Bought full Tri Tip roast untrimmed. About 3.5 lbs. Trimmed a little of the hard fat but pretty much left it alone. I decided to use a traditional Santa Maria rub, or so they say. 1tbs kosher salt, 1 tbs fresh ground black pepper and 1 tbs granulated garlic. Applied rub about 1/2 hr before going on the smoker.

chickenfattietritip007.jpg

chickenfattietritip004.jpg

Put the meat in at 4:45pm. Smoker temp was 228/ meat 48 degrees. 2 bottom vents closed and 1 @ 30%. Top vent wide open.

At 5:50 meat temp is 117 /smoker 232. I was able to run smoker temp at or near 225 for the entire smoke. First time for me that I could keep the temps down in that range. My method this time was to use about 75% of the ring with cold coals and added about 1/4 of a small chimney of hot but placed only on one side of the ring. It worked well today. The wind really came up so I brought out the extra wind shield.

chickenfattietritip006.jpg

Both thermometers have been checked in boiling water at 212. Here is the difference from top grill to hood.

chickenfattietritip009.jpg

I took the meat off the smoker at 6pm meat temp 121. Wrapped in foil. I wanted to sear on WSM here is a pic of the Tri Tip When it came off, the coals ready to sear and the after sear pic.

chickenfattietritip010.jpg

chickenfattietritip011.jpg

chickenfattietritip012.jpg

Well, I was a little disappointed in the look of the Tri Tip at 121 degrees, but what the hey. It looked much better after the sear.
Here are the final pics of the slice and plate. Man was that meat GOOOD! Had a few slices with eggs this morning and still as juicy and tasty. Thanks for all your help!!!

Mark

chickenfattietritip013.jpg

chickenfattietritip014.jpg

chickenfattietritip017.jpg

I did a tri-tip on Sunday night for dinner. I actually cooked it on my grill for the first time ever. I only slice off what I want for dinner and place the rest in the fridge wrapped in foil. Once cold, I slice it thin and make some excellent sammiches or paninis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B Mann:
Nice work! Did you put any smoke on it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, I used oak BBQ Delight pellets in foil. I really don't like the product but don't have any oak chunks.

Mark

Looks great, I really appreciate the pics and detailed description of the process you used.

Rookie question, but how do you measure the temp on the top grate? Is that where you put the end through a potato or something so it's just sitting there?

One suggestion/thought...try over direct heat (well, indirect at first, so "reverse sear") and tell us which method you prefer. My smoking capabilities are nowhere near as extensive as yours, but I did try smoking a couple tris and then switched to grilling. I dont' think I'll go back. The meat is juicy enough on its own that I found it didn't need to be low n slow.

Anyway, just curious to hear which you prefer.

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tim L.:
Looks great, I really appreciate the pics and detailed description of the process you used.

Rookie question, but how do you measure the temp on the top grate?

QUOTE]

Temp at top grate is measured by a probe attached to a holder (clip) provided when I bought the dual probe Redi Check remote thermometer. I have grilled for most of my adult life and only recently discovered low and slow smoking. From what I have read Tri Tip is good both ways as long as you can control the heat.

Mark

Mark

Thanks for the info MK. I'd like to do that b/c I have no clue how accurate my lid thermometer is.

Yeah, my low n slow tri was not BAD by any means, but I've personally found the direct to be juicier and tasted more like what I think the meat is "meant" to taste like.

Sure looks good in your pics though!

I tried this tonight. I let it go a bit longer as my wife likes it done a bit more (and she is the boss!). I left it on until internal was around 128. Pulled it and let sit for 10 min. She loved it (which works well for me). I really loved it also. Thanks for the well documented BBQ. Tomorrow it's pork butt for Smoke Day!

Thanks for posting this. I followed this template to a 'T' and the Tri Tip came out great. It was my first time using my WSM 22" so I really appreciated the pics and instructions.

Back