Issues with Maverick ET-732 Thermometer

Howard V

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

I was very excited to use my Maverick ET-732 to do my low and slow BBQ on WSM but I been disppointed with the device. Please let me if I am doing something wrong or if you have similar issues:

1) Food probe is not working. It keeps reading HHH or error. I called rep and they send me new probe. I used new probe this weekend on my pork butt. When meat was placed on grate, food probe was reading 198 fresh out of fridge. This is totally inaccurate. I tried again later in the cook. Reading was like 225. I tried various techniques....partial insertion....full insertion....never got an accurate reading. Just gave up and only use my BBQ probe reading which has been working well.

2) Transmitter does not turn off. I push the off button and it doesnt work. I have to unscrew the battery section and take out the battery to turn it off. It's an annoyance.

I feel like just return entire device. Did I get a faulty one? Should I try a new one or give up completely on this model? If so, what other models are recommended?

Definitely sounds faulty.

Mine has been working great, and I know a lot of others have liked theirs as well. I think you should try getting it replaced.

There are no other good alternatives with the range of the ET-732. There's the iGrill and ThermoWorks has a dual-zone bluetooth device, but bluetooth is much shorter range and won't reach through your house as well.

Howard,

To turn off the Transmitter you need to push and hold it to turn off.

For the other errors, I'm not too sure. It sounds like you may have gotten a lemon. Their customer support has been good as far as I've experienced (I too, experienced a faulty probe) so maybe give them a call and voice your concerns and your near fed-uppedness with their product!

Howard:

As Sam mentioned you have to hold the button down for several seconds before it will go off. Every now and then I have to do it a couple times but it will turn off. As for the HHH readings I got those a couple of times and it turned out I didn't have the probe full connected. I really have to push mine down to get it to fully seat in the connector.

Thanks for the feedback. I have held the on/off for minutes without any responese. I think I have a lemon and will return it. Might give it one more try before giving up. I like the concept a lot if I can get it to work correctly.

Ok ,mine is new.used it for the 1st time the other day.. Took me awhile to understand all of the steps.. May i suggest, 1st ,change the batteries.. Second,make sure when you scroll to get to your target temps, food and barbecue settings that you press the mode button to lock in those settings.. Also make sure you press the alert button, lower rt button to set the alerts.i found that it takes a little doing to scroll up the temps.. Otherwise it worked fine.. I even gave the propes a boil water test.. They both registered 214 degrees. Thats just fine for me .. Good luck..

On my Maverick I set the low and the hi temp but it never seems to beep when I go above or below temp.
any ideas? been meaning to call into support but havent gotten around to it lately.

On my Maverick I set the low and the hi temp but it never seems to beep when I go above or below temp.
any ideas? been meaning to call into support but havent gotten around to it lately.

BE...is there an alarm icon by either temp? You need to turn the alarm on I believe.

did you remember to press the alert button after you set the temps????

I'll admit I probably won't ever use all the alarm settings etc. There are going to be eventual ups and downs during your cook that will probably go over your set limits...that's why you carry the remote around with you and take a gander whenever you think of it.

I shouldn't talk though, I changed my temperature settings about 30 times in the first two hours of my first ever pork butt cook.

Im more worried about doing a overnight and not getting woken up. but thanks for the tips I'll double check the settings.

Back