Is WSM portable enough to fit in car?

Bryan B

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

I have been bbq'ing since about April using an offset smoker. I am interested in the WSM due to it's ability to smoke for hours using the minion method. It would also be a perk for me if the smoker could be transported so I could bbq at friend's houses. Do you think a WSM could fit in the backseat or trunk of my car? I drive a 2007 nissan sentra...

Thanks in advance!

- Bryan

Bryan, I have the 18.5 WSM. It fits in a 1999 Toyota Camry trunk. It also stands up in my 86 4 runner but I have to take the top off. SInce it all come apart you should be able to stash it also in the back seat.

Mark

Thanks. Also, I understand that the WSM comes un-assembled in the box. How hard is it to put together? Could 1 person with limited assembly knowledge do it?

I carried mine plus luggage for the wife and two kids down to Mississippi for this year's family reunion, in our Chevy Impala.

I also started off w/ an offset, and still have one and a ton of wood. It's hard to commit to feeding an offset when the wsm is so easy. I smoked a couple of typical 7-8 lb. pork shoulder butts last night through this morning for 14.5 hours and never had to refuel or even stir the coals.

Thanks for the link to the assembly page, Shane.

Dave, what is your secret for getting such a long smoke time? I've people say you can get 4-6 hours un-interrupted with the WSM, but this is the 1st I've heard of being able to do the whole cook process un-interrupted. Do you just put more fuel in or is there some special way to stack it?

This is all mysterious to me, as I've tried the minion method in my Chargriller Duo Offset and it DOES NOT WORK. Everything catches on fire within an hour or two and temp spikes up to 350-ish.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan B:
Thanks for the link to the assembly page, Shane.

Dave, what is your secret for getting such a long smoke time? I've people say you can get 4-6 hours un-interrupted with the WSM, but this is the 1st I've heard of being able to do the whole cook process un-interrupted. Do you just put more fuel in or is there some special way to stack it?

This is all mysterious to me, as I've tried the minion method in my Chargriller Duo Offset and it DOES NOT WORK. Everything catches on fire within an hour or two and temp spikes up to 350-ish. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim Minion's method was first used in a WSM, an oxygen depleted environment, VERY unlike most offsets. I have a Chargriller offset as well, and the best way to smoke is to start off with K, add wood and burn cleanly (vent mostly OPEN!) for smoke AND fuel (SMALL splits a couple at a time after heating on the firebox), adding a little lump if needed to supplement the coal bed.It's a pretty therapeutic way to kill time, and a few brews.
icon_wink.gif
....but the Missus sees it as a waste of time.

Get a wsm, load 'er up, light the top, and everything else is details.

Dave,

Two questions

1) by K, do you mean Kingsford? From my reading on other sites, it seems like most people use lump charcoal, normally Royal Oak. I have found lump to burn much wilder

2)Do you recommend I only put wood chunks on top, and add on occassion? I have buried them in the charcoal pile (using a charcoal basket) in the past, and they all seem to ignite too quick which causes the fire to go haywire.

I will still likely get a WSM, but would like to give the minion method on the OffSet another try before I decide for sure.

thanks

Bryan, in my opinion, the MM works best if the hot coals are place at one end of the cold coals. This way only a few of the cold colds get hot at a time and the process continues from one end of the cold coals to the other. I have never had an offset but if I did I would try it that way. As far as the smoke wood placement goes it seems that if you bury it in the coals the smoke runs a little cleaner. If placed on top of the coals you get heavier (looking) smoke. Is there a difference in taste? Opinions vary. Experiment with your set up until you find a method that works. One of the major advantages of the WSM, or so I have read, is the ability to get long smoke times without fiddling. Hence more sleep on overnighters.

Mark

1) Yeah, "K" is for Kingsford. Lump does burn hotter but it's more expensive. As for which "most people" prefer is ... debatable.
icon_wink.gif

2) Buried or on top - either works.

There are custom Minion Method charcoal baskets for offsets. (Wish I'd known that back when I had my offset.) But you can build one with fire bricks 'splits'. Just stand 'em on edge and create a maze. Start one end and, once the fire reaches the other end, backfill with more fuel. Rinse-n-repeat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan B:
Dave,

Two questions

1) by K, do you mean Kingsford? From my reading on other sites, it seems like most people use lump charcoal, normally Royal Oak. I have found lump to burn much wilder

2)Do you recommend I only put wood chunks on top, and add on occassion? I have buried them in the charcoal pile (using a charcoal basket) in the past, and they all seem to ignite too quick which causes the fire to go haywire.

I will still likely get a WSM, but would like to give the minion method on the OffSet another try before I decide for sure.

thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, "K" is blue bag Kingsford, which is great, except for the ash.

I can't really help you with the MM in the Char-griller. Like Travis mentioned, some folks have setups that keep the charcoal lighting a little at a time, but the firebox in your Char-griller is just too small to accomodate such arrangements, including fire bricks. Also, because of what you said about the wood igniting too quickly, I presume your's is like mine, and there's not a way to cut the air off sufficiently. My Char-griller is for depleting my woodpile in nice weather (neighbor's apple tree
icon_smile.gif
), and the K is just for getting a good bed of coals initially. If you don't want to feed the offset, get yourself a wsm.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
...besides, it will fit in your car.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks again Dave. Is there anywhere you can buy a WSM in person, or is it online only? I'm not used to buying packages this big online. Also, are there ever any deals from time to time, or does it pretty much stay constant at $300? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger now or wait for a deal...

thanks.

Bryan, most BBQ stores, & larger hardware stores
should have them on hand. Although pickins might be small this time of year. Most "normal " folks BBQ in the summer. Not us , of course. You can get free shipping on a WSM from a few online suppliers if not all. If you are sure that you want one I would shop online. Weber customer service is great so if you have a problem with the unit they will send you a replacement part.

Mark

Thanks again Dave. Is there anywhere you can buy a WSM in person, or is it online only? I'm not used to buying packages this big online. Also, are there ever any deals from time to time, or does it pretty much stay constant at $300? Just wondering if I should pull the trigger now or wait for a deal...

thanks. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No place to get one around here in middle TN. My wife bought mine last Dec. online, but the good thing is that the wsm comes very well packed. No issues with mine at all.

As far as deals go, I don't think the price on the smaller and more popular one varies as much as the larger one, but if you want one, just go ahead and order one. I use mine all the time, and it'll last a LONG time.

Back