Is this used Genesis a good deal - HELP identifying and some Q's from a newbie

JBrinker

Good morning - My brother is a Weber "enthusiast" and has several pristine old Weber gas grills. My crappy Charbroil is end of life so I was looking at new grills, and he encouraged me to look on CL and FB for an older Weber instead. I found a few and this one in particular looks perfect. I do recall that back "before they switched to N-S burners" that most of the Webers were considered really great grills. (I have an old Weber Q we use for camping and I love that thing)

This one is near me for $200 asking. NG not LP - I do have NG stubbed out of my house, would just need to run it under the deck to my grill, which should be easy. My brother says he thinks this was his favorite model/type/age as they used to have one at his old job that they cooked "Tons of sausage, chicken, etc on every Friday and it was the best grill ever"

A few questions:

- My best guess is that this is a EP310 NG, about late 2000's? Any help on age?
- Current owner bought it for her son when he got his first house (Used? no idea). Used for a bit, but then he got married and his wife did not like the color. So it went back to the parents house where it has been since. They have their own Weber Genesis and do not need it. Seems to be in good shape - anyone notice anything?
- I'm gong to look at it today at 3pm, what should I check - I cannot test it since it is not hooked up.
- She said I could leave a $100 deposit and take it to test it if I wanted.

For new, I was considering "the best grill I could get for $899 or less". Which was going to be the E325 Genesis or Rogue 425 Napoleon. My brother convinced me that for the money I'd be better off with an older Weber. (His opinion is not great on the newest models either).

Do you think this is a better choice? Certainly fits the budget more!

I've never had a grill this nice, and never with the E-W burners, although again my brother swears by the E-W thing. How different does it cook?

Is this a good model, or should I look around more? Price good?

Definitely I like the nice stainless grates, I never have had good luck long term with cast.

Thanks for any/all advice!!
352153100_6233772303342847_5922589910408313198_n.jpg350554331_6258670147575822_125137880034218256_n.jpg350659173_6222306121216867_2647544177685076110_n.jpg

That grill looks great for $200 as a keeper to actually use.
Especially if the Flavorizer Bars are stainless (can’t tell)

Based on the serial number it’s manufactured in 2007.

The inside looks rust free which is great if you can keep it that way since it’ll be the first likely “point of failure” (i.e. -showing rust inside). But that would be the same for any cabinet model grill.

Yea lots of E-W burner evangelists here.

Last edited:
Looks like a winner to me, too. Some of us jokingly refer to that model as "sidewinders" to distinguish them from the later 300 series grill that had the same basic body but moved the controls to the front and went with front to back (N-S) burners. Personally, I really like the sidewinder version. You can get an earful here of conflicting opinions regarding which is better for various cooks. For sure, the grill you are looking at is the last one Weber made that kept their classic E-W configuration.

My only caution is to stay on top of keeping that cabinetry DRY and CLEAN. It is very prone to rust. Hopefully you can store your grill in a garage or other inside location. Keep an eye out for any sign of rust and address it right away.

That is among the last of what I consider a TRUE Genesis. And it's a very nice example. Looking at the photos $200 does not seem far fetched. Might try to grab it for $150ish. But even if you give $200 nothing to be ashamed of

Thanks everyone! I will be looking at it today, barring anything unforseen I think I will leave a deposit at least (would have to come back with a truck to get it).

That’s a fine grill and a strong value for $200 or less. Much better cost value ratio than anything you would buy new.

If it were me, though, I’d go a bit older or a bit newer than that 2007 model.

If you go a few years newer, you could get the same basic model but with the addition of a fourth sear burner. Putting aside the ns ew debate, a sear burner is a really good upgrade. You could also pick up a side burner which is a nice to have. One of my grills is exactly that and is about 2015 vintage.

Or go older and get a more classic old school genesis sidewinder . Plenty of silver b type grills around from the early 2000s (my other grilll). Go back a few more years and you get into the true classic genesis grills. But those are harder to find and restore maintain.

When you get there, take a close look at the floor.
It appears to have been repainted- most likely to hide
rust. The vents on the floor appear to have corrosion that has
rotted away some of the metal and been covered with paint
also. Lastly, the drip pan holder is not original. It appears to
be one out of a Weber Summit. Not necessarily good or bad,
but certainly something that I would question as to why. If the
decal you posted is from the drip pan holder as it should be,
then the info posted will be wrong as well.

Jim, I can see both of those perspectives, and would not mind the sear burner. But I have basically one day to decide (Wife is buying me something for Father's day - well 'contributing' if I get a $900 one, but she would just straight up buy me this $200 one). So its either this one, or a similar but grungier looking LP one I found, or a new one. I am really leaning toward this one for $200. I can get a cover for it, and its will be on my concrete deck. And I will finally have NG, which I was going to do LAST grill 7 years ago...

Edit - I really should pick up a kettle too, for steaks and such, on charcoal once in a while...

For $200 or less, go for it.

If you want something different in the future, you could easily sell it for what you paid.

No brainer as compared to buying new at 4X more.

Great thing about the older Weber grills is the wide availability of spare parts. So you should be able to keep it going for decades. One of my kids will inherit my 2001 genesis.

Jim, I can see both of those perspectives, and would not mind the sear burner. But I have basically one day to decide (Wife is buying me something for Father's day - well 'contributing' if I get a $900 one, but she would just straight up buy me this $200 one). So its either this one, or a similar but grungier looking LP one I found, or a new one. I am really leaning toward this one for $200. I can get a cover for it, and its will be on my concrete deck. And I will finally have NG, which I was going to do LAST grill 7 years ago...

Edit - I really should pick up a kettle too, for steaks and such, on charcoal once in a while...
Get the grill for $200 and your wife can buy you a kettle, bag of charcoal and some covers for Father's day with change left over for some CSST to run your gas line snd fittings !

When you get there, take a close look at the floor.
It appears to have been repainted- most likely to hide
rust. The vents on the floor appear to have corrosion that has
rotted away some of the metal and been covered with paint
also. Lastly, the drip pan holder is not original. It appears to
be one out of a Weber Summit. Not necessarily good or bad,
but certainly something that I would question as to why. If the
decal you posted is from the drip pan holder as it should be,
then the info posted will be wrong as well.
I thought it looked different, but according to the schematic for that year NG, it is a "tank blocker" grease holder.

The serial number sticker should be on the vertical part of it.

1686241664873.png
1686241618255.png

I thought it looked different, but according to the schematic for that year NG, it is a "tank blocker" grease holder.

Interesting. First time I have seen that used on a side winder. I wonder why they even
bothered to put it in a NG model.

I've never had a grill this nice, and never with the E-W burners, although again my brother swears by the E-W thing. How different does it cook?

Is this a good model, or should I look around more? Price good?

Definitely I like the nice stainless grates, I never have had good luck long term with cast.

it looks like a good deal for $200. The comments about rust on the frame are legit so look at it carefully, especially where the lower legs connect to the sides and the floor.

SS grates are a plus.

My Mom has a 2009 E320 which is nearly identical with an added side burner. It cooks well, in fact I cooked dinner on it last night.

20230607_191303.jpg

looks like a NG all the way since there is no hole in the right side panel where the line from the tank to the manifold would go through. If it is a 2007 year, the manifold with have a support bracket under it. Check out the four legs closely for rust. Once those are compromised, it becomes a challenge to keep the cabinet together.

it looks like a good deal for $200. The comments about rust on the frame are legit so look at it carefully, especially where the lower legs connect to the sides and the floor.

SS grates are a plus.

My Mom has a 2009 E320 which is nearly identical with an added side burner. It cooks well, in fact I cooked dinner on it last night.

View attachment 72232
Dan:

Wish I still had the CI grates like your mom's.

Looks like it might be missing a knob? Am I really seeing the knob skirt but no knob? Or is it my eyes? Not a big deal if it's missing but might want to check the valve stem and make sure it's OK. Nice grill and a great color.

Thanks for all the info guys - after looking at it, it did have rust on the bottom, fairly significant in the back. The firebox/burners/top were all in really good shape. The doors each have a dent/crease/scratch in them. Some peeling of the shelf material. All in all not bad for the age. However, when I presented the idea to my wife she torpedoed it. (Keep in mind that the new grill was to be a gift from her to me). So now I am off to shop for something new. Comparing the Napoleons and Webers in the $700-1400 price point (which is a LOT more than we planned on spending, but I try to look at this as a once in 20+ years purchase).

Back