Is this smoker any good?

I agree with Dennis, there may be concern due to not at least 1/4". I had a charbroil silver smoker which worked well, but the metal thickness should have been more

Thanks Dustin, and everyone, for the input. Yeah I'll keep it, really looking forward to it! Now I need to find some hickory/oak logs. I have a stack for the firepit but it has a lot of pine mixed in, and I can't tell the difference. Finding a local guy who knows his species hopefully will not be too difficult. There is a bbq joint down the street, I'll ask where they get theirs.
MY home depot was selling splits in a bag in the BBQ department. Might not be the cheapest way to go, but should get you going for the first cook at least.

I've got a pecan tree in the back yard. They pretty much prune themselves. If a limb falls off I cut it up in small splits or logs and let them season. We've also got a place that sells oak and mesqite. I have that oak nicely seasoned bit have no idea what species it actually is. It's probably live oak. I think I'm going to cook some ribs with it tomorrow on my Old Country weather permitting. If it is nasty I'll use the wsm.

Wow, awesome smoker. Looks like a the perfect backyard stick burner. You will be happy it's not 1/4" when you have to move it to clean up the deck. You are lucky to have a wife that cares enough to think you would enjoy it. We all have got that "one" gift that we just smiled and thought dear lord, what was she thinking? You came out on the winning end of this deal for sure. All I got was a camoflauge snuggie so I am jealous.

John B, and the forum, ... I was searching the web for others that own this MenardProducts Indirect Smoker and I landed here. I'm not sure if you're still looking for assessments of this smoker or not, since original post is so old. I'm a newbie to this forum and somewhat to smoking meats (so not an expert). A few years back, I was impressed viewing a similar model at our hardware store and I ordered one from MenardProducts (Dewitt, Ark). The heavy, thick materials on the display unit swayed me and by store inspection, the door fittings appeared tight. On my order to Menards, I had them remove the light alum door and replace w 1/4" iron plate, install a 2nd therm, enlarge the wooden work shelf and remove the under carriage and mount a single stem, swivel pedestal mount that I cemented into my patio landscape. Their fabrication of my request turned out to be amateur-like. Anyway, JohnB, concerning the performance of my smoker... I was very disappointed. I've over $1200 invested and the smoke stack is too short, the welds are rough and the door fitting is crude which allows smoke and heat to leak badly. I've attempted to work with MProducts and ask for help and received none. Their response was that they "were a striving business of 80employees at one time, and now their down to an skeleton crew of 8... and their capability was limited." With that, I took it upon myself to refabricate the pit and correct their shortcomings. The pit's performance is now much improved (...but after another $600 of re-investment). Bottomline, I have a smoker that I can live with for another 20yrs... but I wouldn't rec this smoker or this company to anyone. Hope this helps. Davis L

Back