Is this normal?

ADMcCarver

Ok so I bought my WSM 22.5 leading up to Memorial Day. I have had two cooks on it so far. First cook was some Baby Back Ribs. My youngest daughter which happens to be the rib aficionado of the family said, "daddy these are the best ribs I've ever had, even better than TeeTee's (my aunt who is a professional caterer)." I took it with a grain of salt. My second cook, last night, was some St. Louis cut Spares. Same reaction, from everyone. Is it normal to go from some schmuck with a regular grill to the family favorite when you get a WSM? I'm wondering how did I ever live life in this house without it. This thing has me thinking that I can do a Brisket or a Pork Shoulder this weekend!! Tonight, even!!! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The WSM makes us all geniuses, and believe me, it did not have much to work with considering my abilities. I would go with the Boston Butt first - more forgiving. The longer cook will give you a better idea of how your WSM works and reacts.

One important thing is that Butt and Brisket cooks are more based on meat temp and tenderness whereas ribs are primarily time based. I made the mistake of relying mostly on time and a little on temp for my first brisket and it was tough as shoe leather. Cook both to internal temp around 205 and more importantly they are tender when probed with a long tooth pick or thermometer - like a hot knife in butter.

The good thing is the more you cook, the more your technique will be refined and the smarter you will appear.

I agree. Go with the shoulder first. You'll get good practice with a long cook, and the butt isn't as temperamental as a brisket can be. Once you feel confident with the pork (I'd say you should probably do 2 or 3 cooks) then move on to the brisket.

The WSM makes us all geniuses, and believe me, it did not have much to work with considering my abilities. I would go with the Boston Butt first - more forgiving. The longer cook will give you a better idea of how your WSM works and reacts.

One important thing is that Butt and Brisket cooks are more based on meat temp and tenderness whereas ribs are primarily time based. I made the mistake of relying mostly on time and a little on temp for my first brisket and it was tough as shoe leather. Cook both to internal temp around 205 and more importantly they are tender when probed with a long tooth pick or thermometer - like a hot knife in butter.

The good thing is the more you cook, the more your technique will be refined and the smarter you will appear.

I agree also and the high fat content of the BB will help gunk up the WSM which will make it more stable.

Back