Is this just sliced pork butt?

Wayne_R

TVWBB All-Star
Wondering how to cook in the WSM and how long and if you can point to any recipes?

porkspecial.jpg

Thanks all

I would assume they are the same thing my butcher provides under that name, so I would say yes.

I've never smoked them, only grilled them, using pork chop recipes. They're plentiful.

There are two types. If they're lighter pink, they're leaner, so treat them more like pork loin. If darker red, they're from the shoulder, like pork butt, and have more intramuscular fat. Your label indicates the latter type.

Smoke at 250 for a couple hours. Foil and add liquid of your choice and seal, cook for another half hour to hour, put back on the smoke or direct heat for a while to firm up. Mmm.

Thanks all for clarification and advice.

I'm a lil torn in trying these or this:

boporo.jpg

I've made one of these a long time ago in smoker with a bacon/grape glaze poured on after.

Maybe one this week and one next??

For CSR (sliced bone-in butt), I cook 'em just like Ribs.

For Pork Loin, I prefer to grill them as there is little fat.

The CSR I usually rub and WSM for a couple of hours, then foil with some BBQ sauce and cook another hour. I don't try to firm them up, just take the foil off the pan and serve them in the sauce.
Because pork loin can be dry, if I cook on the grill they go on the rotisserie for as little time as possible.
Most of the time I slice loin thin and cook sauteed and simmered in a sauce. Some favorites are a wine, cream and mustard sauce, a white wine cream sauce with tarragon, or sometimes an apricot sauce with pine nuts served over polenta with onions in it. Simmering in the sauce tenderizes it and keeps it moist.

Back