Is this gas connection OK?

KennP

I usually don't see a direct connection like this, so I'm worried. Also, it should have plumber's tape on it, right? Should there be some sort of other connection. This is a Genesis Gold.

C7D6C935-39B6-49EC-8DFC-4A37608BD7C6.jpeg

It should have PTFE pipe dope on it. Tape for gas is too thick for those fine threads. Use tape or dope 1/2" and over, use dope only 1/2" and less.

BTW Chris A this is like the 100th time this thing has been asked and answered along with "conversion" topics. Shouldn't a sticky be called for?

Hey Kenn, those steel hooks in the picture are supposed to be hooked to the frame just to the right of the manifold. They support the manifold and keep it from sagging to the point your knobs don't have any space to push down before turning.

I am talking about that silver steel wire hook around the manifold hanging right next to the hose connection. There should be two of them, one for each end of the manifold.

It should have PTFE pipe dope on it. Tape for gas is too thick for those fine threads. Use tape or dope 1/2" and over, use dope only 1/2" and less.

BTW Chris A this is like the 100th time this thing has been asked and answered along with "conversion" topics. Shouldn't a sticky be called for?
As I'm writing the HOW TO on gas conversion, I'm realizing that I need some of this information, too. Like when and where is pipe dope used, when and where it tape used, etc. And ideally, I can talk Bruce into doing a video showing how to replace a manifold and change the hose. :)

Larry, what about when you screw a new control valve into a Genesis 1000 manifold. Same PTFE pipe dope?

Last edited:
As I'm writing the HOW TO on gas conversion, I'm realizing that I need some of this information, too. Like when and where is pipe dope used, when and where it tape used, etc. And ideally, I can talk Bruce into doing a video showing how to replace a manifold and change the hose. :)

Larry, what about when you screw a new control valve into a Genesis 1000 manifold. Same PTFE pipe dope?

While you're at it, something like a "Connectors for Dummies" pictorial would be great. Something that shows all of the various connectors that you might encounter between the gas source and the manifold . . . and how to upgrade outdated bits. I know I spent a lot of time staring, pondering and Googling only to find my head spinning even faster. QCC1 . . . NPT . . . flares . . . quick connects . . . POL :eek:🤯

Chris, I was taught by my licensed fitter friend (now understand he is licensed in the UK not the US but I would think they're even more stringent), anyway he told me up to 1/2" use dope and 1/2" and over either dope or tape is fine. On larger fittings I find I like the yellow tape better than the dope. But, that is a personal thing. Anyway on a gas grill (unless it's a beast grill like my Wolf) you typically don't find over 1/2" though on the Wolf it's got 3/4" LOL. It actually can suck up more BTU than my new furnace LOL. Also only use the dope/tape on standard NPT (National Pipe Thread) fittings not on flare fittings. If you try using it on the flare fittings it will guarantee a leak. As it cause the mating surfaces to not "mate" correctly and they will leak.

Back