Is this common?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony G.

TVWBB Super Fan
I tried some new lump today (Ozark Oak Brand) using the "coffee can" (Minion) method. Well, I had to "peek" a few times to check grate temperatures. Upon raising the lid I noticed ash being sucked up from the vacuum created. I've never noticed this happeing with other charcoal.

Has anyone experienced this?

P.S. A few other details:

1. I also had hickory wood mixed within the lump.

2. I used Kingsford mesquite charcoal briquets in the center as the core starter.

Why do you need to look in to see what the temp is? You don't want to peek, put a therm in the lid holes and go from there! NO PEEKING!!
icon_smile.gif

Oh, it's just a vacum thing, I get that sometimes with mine and I use Kingsford!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony G.:
I tried some new lump today (Ozark Oak Brand) using the "coffee can" (Minion) method. Well, I had to "peek" a few times to check grate temperatures. Upon raising the lid I noticed ash being sucked up from the vacuum created. I've never noticed this happeing with other charcoal.

Has anyone experienced this?

P.S. A few other details:

1. I also had hickory wood mixed within the lump.

2. I used Kingsford mesquite charcoal briquets in the center as the core starter. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Anthony,

Do a search on "tip for the day" by Jim Warren. Alternative to the coffee can method.

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Anthony G.:
Jim.....I cannot seem to find what you are trying to direct me to. Can you "link" me? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was just a suggestion to invert the Weber chimney and put your 15 to 20 coals in the shallow end. Then stuff your newspaper in the wrong end! The funnel shape end holds the coals together vs using a coffee can.

Jim

Isn't the coffee can method taking an empty coffee can, cutting the bottom off of it, setting it in the middle of your charcoal ring, pouring unlit coals to surround it, then putting the lit coals inside the coffee can and sliding the can itself out? So...it's a minion type burn.

?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Susan Z:
Isn't the coffee can method taking an empty coffee can, cutting the bottom off of it, setting it in the middle of your charcoal ring, pouring unlit coals to surround it, then putting the lit coals inside the coffee can and sliding the can itself out? So...it's a minion type burn.

? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May be what he's talking about. I was referring to starting a small amount of coals in a chimney starter. Some folks us a smaller can inside the chimney to keep the coals "congregated" for lighting.

My bad! Its early! Disregard my post.

Jim

Hey thanks Jim, That is a neat idea! All tips are welcome!!

Susan Z is correct..I was referring to a center "starter fire".....

Don't feel bad, Jim--I loved your tip and will use it myself, since the ol' WSM doesn't need a full chimney (and even my small chimney seems too big).

When you use the coffe can in the chimney to hold the smaller group of coals together, I recommend drilling a number of holes in the side of the can as well as cutting the bottom out. I used it without cutting the holes in the sides and it didn't light well.

Paul

Weber advises you not to lift the lid straight up or you'll get the vacuum effect you experienced. Lift one side up, then pull the lid off in the opposite direction.

I understand Jay....I never pull my dome "straight up" I believe this would make the problem even worse.

I learned this from a few "gas" pit conversions I made....lifting the lid too fast or straight up would actually put out the flame (or pull out the flame)! And with the seal that the WSM has, I can literaly suck the ashes off the bottom. I thought it was the Lump I was using.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back