Is this a kambocha squash or acorn squash?

Arun L.

TVWBB All-Star
It was already cut in half at the grocery store.

I asked a worker if it was kambocha, and he said yes. But I just want to make sure, as I have a hard time telling them apart right now.

DSCF0274.JPGDSCF0272.JPG

Yes, I think your coworker is right:

I've never seen this squash before but it definitely doesn't look like an acorn to me. Based on the photos in the Wiki entry, the acorn is rounder and the outside ridges come to sharper peaks, and there's a single seed cavity instead of 2.

My wife likes acorn squash and I usually grill them cut side down to put on some grill marks and bring out the natural sweetness, before flipping them over, loading the cavities with ridiculous amounts of butter and letting them cook until tender.

Yes, I think your coworker is right:

I've never seen this squash before but it definitely doesn't look like an acorn to me. Based on the photos in the Wiki entry, the acorn is rounder and the outside ridges come to sharper peaks, and there's a single seed cavity instead of 2.

My wife likes acorn squash and I usually grill them cut side down to put on some grill marks and bring out the natural sweetness, before flipping them over, loading the cavities with ridiculous amounts of butter and letting them cook until tender.

Thanks.

I meant the grocery worker, not my coworker.

So for your acorn squash, you cut it in half, and put the inside part face down first, right?

Oops...I misread "worker" in your post.

But yes, that's how I do it. Clean out the seeds and strings and then start with the halves face down. I also take a knife and score the flesh before doing this, so that when I flip it over the butter can theoretically get in deeper. Here are a couple of photos from a long time ago:

SteakAndSquash20111030_3.jpgSteakAndSquash20111030_4.jpg

Back