Is there anything a Genesis can't do??

My latest Genesis "cook"...

IMG_3063.JPG

We're remodeling our kitchen, changing the footprint of the cabinets and island, but didn't want to tear up and replace the whole room full of ceramic tile. Trouble is, the tile we have isn't made any longer; in fact, there's nothing even close to it in any of the tile catalogs or dealers. Even the size (13" square) isn't common today. So, our only choice is to salvage all of the existing tile we took out for the new cabinetry.

If you've never tried taking up ceramic tile, it's an exercise in frustration. The thinset the installers used back in the '90s is remarkably tough stuff; it's far more flexible than what I've run into before, and hangs onto the tile like superglue. Using every trick I've learned over the years, I still had a breakage rate of about 80%. Then I got the bright idea of taking up the tile and backer board in one piece, planning to deal with the mess later.

As I thought about it, I suspected that whatever was holding the tile to the backer might soften if it were heated. So, I threw an old cookie sheet into the Genesis, set just the center burner to about 1/4, and "cooked" each tile at 200 degF for an hour. Once done, a putty knife easily peeled the board from the tile. A little scraping of any remaining adhesive while it was still warm produced clean tiles.

I did a bunch of full tiles before turning my attention to those that had snapped before I changed tactics; these two pieces were dirty, but easily salvaged thanks to the Genesis!

And I didn't even need to use a rub! ;)

View attachment 62045

We're remodeling our kitchen, changing the footprint of the cabinets and island, but didn't want to tear up and replace the whole room full of ceramic tile. Trouble is, the tile we have isn't made any longer; in fact, there's nothing even close to it in any of the tile catalogs or dealers. Even the size (13" square) isn't common today. So, our only choice is to salvage all of the existing tile we took out for the new cabinetry.

If you've never tried taking up ceramic tile, it's an exercise in frustration. The thinset the installers used back in the '90s is remarkably tough stuff; it's far more flexible than what I've run into before, and hangs onto the tile like superglue. Using every trick I've learned over the years, I still had a breakage rate of about 80%. Then I got the bright idea of taking up the tile and backer board in one piece, planning to deal with the mess later.

As I thought about it, I suspected that whatever was holding the tile to the backer might soften if it were heated. So, I threw an old cookie sheet into the Genesis, set just the center burner to about 1/4, and "cooked" each tile at 200 degF for an hour. Once done, a putty knife easily peeled the board from the tile. A little scraping of any remaining adhesive while it was still warm produced clean tiles.

I did a bunch of full tiles before turning my attention to those that had snapped before I changed tactics; these two pieces were dirty, but easily salvaged thanks to the Genesis!

Good thinking Grant! I hope you end up with enough tile to fix your floor.

View attachment 62045

Do you plan on doing anything to clean the grill once the project is completed?

View attachment 62045

Grant, We had all the tile in our home replaced two years ago so I know what you're going through. We did the kitchen both bathrooms, entry way and laundry room and we are still getting the fine dust out of places we didn't think that fine dust would get into. After they got the tiles up they had to grind the quickset off the concrete slab. It was so bad you couldn't see out of the windows.

Can’t fully compare, but we are redoing our upstairs floors and trim and repainting. While at it, I decided to add an outlet to the slim amount our early 70s house has, and I needed a reinforcement board for installation of a ceiling fan. The attic is an impassible nightmare due to air handler and ductwork. So both jobs involved cutting and replacing drywall. That dust will be showing up everywhere for who knows how long!😷

Have never tiled over existing floor tile, but I have tiled over existing wall tile for several projects and most recently a kitchen renovation with a new backsplash. After cleaning the existing tile, I painted it with this stuff:

One coat. Let it dry and tile away. Saves a lot of work and headaches.

There are some things I’ve learned I do not want to develop the skill set for. Tile work is one, and frankly most of the trades which guys have worked years to develop. I’m glad to pay them for their knowledge! There are some things I’m sure I “could“ do but, I’m not buying more tools for a single project.
But, that’s a pretty clever tweak to addressing your project!!

View attachment 62045

I have asked it to wash my car, but so far no success!

Old Henny Youngman joke:

I was walking down the street and a woman approached me and told me she would do anything I wanted for $50.

Paint my house.

Back