Is the One Touch Gold worth the extra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Ruben Z:
Was looking at This one on Amazon and the price is not bad (149) with free shipping. I already have the silver and getting ash out is a paint so was wondering if the gold version works well.
If your silver is not that old, you can get the ash pan/bucket on e-bay for @40.00 and turn it into a gold. A lot cheaper, but to answer the ??? yes the gold is worth it.

The one-touch system works the same on silvers or golds. You get the ash pan ring with a pan an extra handle (and better ones), more reinforcing on the t-brace and a cooking grate with the tilt-up sides.
6 yrs with mine and it's well worth it IMO.

Tim

Ruben, I would agree with Ken see if you can order the ash pan from weber closeouts, I did that for one of my 22.5 and picked up a hinged grate.

If your Silver was made after 2000, I would just buy the kit from Weber Close-outs on ebay. If it's older than 2000, check the alignment of the holes in the leg sockets, otherwise, you'l have to do some manipulating or Dremeling to make it work like I did. And yes, the gold ashbowl is well worth it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forrest B:
Be sure to give Weber customer service a call. They usually have a better price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

True, but don't forget to tell them that you already have a Gold or a Performer, or they wont sell to you if you tell them you have a Silver.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Forrest B:
Be sure to give Weber customer service a call. They usually have a better price. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True but Webercloseouts is often cheaper with shipping and he doesn't seem to care what you put the gadget on

Ok I am new to this site so what is a Weber closeout? And what parts can you get from them at a good price? Like maybe old performer parts (I hope)?

Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Lindsey:
Ok I am new to this site so what is a Weber closeout? And what parts can you get from them at a good price? Like maybe old performer parts (I hope)?

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Weber close outs is a guy (store) on eBay. They sell everything from ash bowls to WSM thermometers to parts for Big Green Egg etc. That's how I got
My ash bowl for my red 22.5 90s One Touch.

I just got the gold ash kit from Weber close outs and it fit fine on my 2002 18.5, It was here in two days, no more hot coals under foot.

Another point about the Gold design:

IF you live in a windy area I think it cuts down on the wind's influence on your cook. The bowl covers the bottom vents a bit and just seems to cut down on the turbulent effect the wind has.

Or, I may be whacked.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Greg Vaillancourt:
Another point about the Gold design:

IF you live in a windy area I think it cuts down on the wind's influence on your cook. The bowl covers the bottom vents a bit and just seems to cut down on the turbulent effect the wind has.

Or, I may be whacked.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my question on the gold though, never having used one. Assuming wind is NOT a factor, does that ash pan bowl restrict air "too much" for a wide open throttle cook? It just seems like a big difference over a OTS.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd Hilkemeyer:
This is my question on the gold though, never having used one. Assuming wind is NOT a factor, does that ash pan bowl restrict air "too much" for a wide open throttle cook? It just seems like a big difference over a OTS. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not in my experience and I have both the Gold and Silver.

Just want to +1 Greg - I've used both and you do get the wind protection but it's still open enough that it doesn't cause any problems getting oxygen to the coals. It's a nice system.

And yes, it's definitely convenient just dumping the ash can out now and again. I use lump which doesn't produce all that much ash and I have to deal with the ashes very infrequently.

Golds are great in the Nebraska winds, but on calmer days, I sometimes use the old Bar-B-Q-Kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back