Is sprayed fruit wood safe?

BrianPS

TVWBB Member
One of my co-workers gave me a bunch of apple,and pear wood. A few weeks later he mentioned he was going to spray his fruit trees for bugs.

Are the limbs he pruned and gave me safe to use in my smoker? Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Without knowing what the spray used was, I would not use them. Even if I did know, I probably wouldn't use them as I'm not a chemist. I'd be afraid to take a chance. Good clean wood is too easy to get

I would ask him when he last sprayed the wood he gave you and with what did he spray. Once you know what he sprayed, you can find out what it is. Some of that stuff is very safe and I'd have no problem using it. Some is oil based and if recently sprayed, could be a problem. Some of it can be sprayed right on the fruit and is safe for human consumption if it sits for a short period of time.

Personally, I would not worry about it. I get wood from a local orchard. I'm certain they spray but I just don't see it as a big deal. That's me. I guess I figure if it's safe for a food producing operation, it's okay to burn. You'll need to do some investigation to come to your own conclusion.

He gave me the wood in April so I am sure it had not been sprayed for over 6 months. I have a abundance of maple, cherry and oak. For some reason apple has been hard to find.

I am going to find out tomorrow what he uses for spray.

my old man is an orchard owner. The sprays he uses wouldn't be good for I wouldn't imagine but then again every piece of fruit wood I own cam from there. As long as your not using it like the next day, lol. This time of year spreading fertilizer or pruning was probably the last thing he did, no spraying. The last time my old mans cherries were sprayed were before budding, I just don't know if apples are the same. ESPECIALLY this time of year I wouldn't worry about it, like I said all my fruit wood comes from sprayed orchard and Im still kickin'
icon_wink.gif
That to me would be a minor concern compared to curing the wood first. One time I thought about chain saw bar oil getting on my wood too, that was also a minor concern for me. We should worry more about how "they" make ketchup or "Reeses Puffs" cerial and stuff like that, lol.. now those may be a concern.
icon_biggrin.gif

There is no way i'd use any fruit wood that has been sprayed..Read the mds for any spray and see what i mean.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james n:
There is no way i'd use any fruit wood that has been sprayed..Read the mds for any spray and see what i mean. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

do you eat apples? seems to me if it is safe to eat the fruit that grows on the tree you could burn the wood.

Good thought Tony, better put then me. I'de be willing to bet even wood sold in bags (if fruit) has a good chance of being sprayed unless organic,
icon_wink.gif
as well with the rest of the non organic fruit we buy and eat.. heck I bet 90% of the tvwb is using fruit wood that has been sprayed. He doesn't seem bothered by it.
icon_biggrin.gif
I have to say if your totally concerned then peel the bark off I guess, but I wouldn't. you could wash it too maybe. ...no one else is bothered by ketchup... I need answeres, LOL.

I think that Dan H. has the right answer. Unless it is organic, it HAS been sprayed with something. And since organic orchards are a very small percentage of commercial orchards in general, you most likely are using wood from sprayed trees if you order chunks online or buy them in a store. Remove the bark if the idea of chemical residue bothers you. It bothers me a little so I do remove the bark.

It's not like the wood has been pressure treated with chemicals, just a topical spray.
As others have stated you can peel the bark, and soak in a sanitizing solution of 1.5 ozs bleach to 3gals H2O for 2 min. Drain then air-dry in a bin out of direct sun-light.( I use dollar store laundry baskets. )
HTH
Tim

If the wood is not de-barked, you can pre-fire the wood in your chimney until the bark is well charred to burn off anything you might worry about.

This is arguably a good idea anyway depending on the condition of your wood since the bark can sometimes have off-odors to it naturally.
(although it seems that not everyone agrees on this point)

Yea i eat apple's lol i also work for one of the largest city's in cali and sprayed alot of fruit tree's in this 20 plus year's id prefer to to get some back yard wood than from heavly spraded tree's

Back