Is Pork Neck available in America

Phil Hartcher

TVWBB All-Star
I have not seen anything written about pork neck (boned) in these forums. It is one of my favourite cuts, it has streaks of fat in it, which adds to the flavour and cooks very moist.
I have taken to using it to make Char Sui pork (Chinese red pork) with this and am now at the point where everyone wants me to make it for his or her BBQs as well as mine.

I did a quick search on the Internet to see if the packet of premixed spices that I get from the Asian grocery store is available in America - I found it at Amazon.com. If you do a search for "Lobo brand Thai BBQ red pork seasoning" you will find it. Each sachet contains 2 packets of the spice.

The Char Sui is easy to make - I take a 3 - 4 lb pork neck, slice it length ways to make 2 strips and trim any excess fat or membrane from the outside. I then mix the 2 packets of spice with 1 1/2 cusp of water, 2 tablespoons of tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of sugar. I put the pork into a ziplock bag, add the marinate and put it in the fridge to marinate for 8 hours or so.
I cook it indirectly on the kettle and place 1 1/2 foil trays under it 1/2 full of water so that any juices that drip off do not char and spoil the taste.

I make a sauce to go with it, which is as authentic as I have had outside of China. The sauce recipe I developed myself by trial and error and then had one of my friends in China make it and test it against the sauce we had in several places over there.

The sauce is
2 1/2 parts good quality Hoi Sin sauce
1 part Honey
1 1/4 parts Premium Light Soy sauce
1 1/4 parts Rice wine vinegar
1 - 1 1/2 parts water

You van use cups tablespoons or pints as the measuring container it makes no difference as long as the ratio remains the same.

Bring all the ingredients to the boil and simmer, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon for 7 - 10 minutes - pour into serving bowls and cool.
This sauce can be used for any Asian meat dish but is best with Char Sui.

I had a BBQ last weekend where the guests ate 1/2 a litre of the sauce. They were putting it on everything including the sausages and the bread rolls.

Enjoy
Regards

Yes pork neck meat is available in America.I have an Italian friend of mine who buys boneless pork neck meat and makes home made capacollo.I never have bought any or smoked any pork neck meat. My wife does make spaghetti sauce with pork neck bones.

I buy, and use pork neck meat for my italian sauce (or gravy) I use for spaghetti on some Sundays..(or any other day off)

I think I saw some pork neck at Trader Joe's the other day, but maybe it was somewhere else or maybe I was just dreaming about exotic hog meat.

I can't say I've ever seen it at Joe's--but some carry things others don't. (Of the half-dozen I go to, only the Tucson Joe's on Grant St carries lamb loin and lamb tenderloin--favorites of mine.)

Pork neck is ubiquitous where I live. It's a 'country' cut. It cam be found in cities in many if not most 'etnic' markets.

Back