Is my first brisket too big?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik H.

TVWBB Fan
Just got my replacement parts from Weber and now I'm going to cook my first brisket. I picked one up at Walmart, and it's 14.5 pounds. After reading some of Chris's recipes, however, I'm worried it might be too big for the WSM? Should I be worried?

Also, I'm assuming I should count on taking about 22 hours to cook this thing? Or is the 1.5 hours/pound calculated after you trim the fat?

Thanks

--Erik

14.5 pounds is a big boy, but you can make it work in the WSM. I would wedge it lengthwise between the handles on the top grate. This will prevent it from lapping up against the inside of the cooker. After several hours it will shrink and be just fine.

The rule of thumb about 1-1/2 hrs/pound is based on the weight after trimming.

Regards,
Chris

Erik

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif 14.5 pounds is a whopper, that's for sure.

While 1.5 hrs/lb is the rule of thumb, I like to go by internal temp. The finish temp can be anywhere from 190-205. Start checking the flat when it reaches 185. If a fork of temp probe goes through with little resistance then I'd pull it off the WSM.

The flat does not contain as much fat as the point so while the flat may be done at 185-190 you may need to take the point to 195-200. If that's the case then when the flat is done you can separate it from the point and put the point back on while you let the flat rest.

To quote others "It's done when it's done"
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Erik,
You da man! When you get da beef you really get da beef! I'm curious how long that puppy takes to get up to temp. Let us know what weight it comes down to after trimming and how long it takes to cook. Good luck!
Dave
When's dinner -you could probably invite us all over!? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Update -- I trimmed it and took off 1 lbs, 7 oz of fat. I then used the Midnight Brisket rub less MSG. I'm going to let it sit until tomorrow, put it in overnight and have it for dinner Sunday.

Chris -- your brisket guide this month was most helpful. I had trouble following it without a brisket in front of me but once I started messing with mine your guide really made sense. Thanks!

--Erik

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Erik Hume:
[qb]I had trouble following it without a brisket in front of me but once I started messing with mine your guide really made sense.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thanks, I appreciate this kind of feedback!

Regards,
Chris

Boy, that's a big one all right. I've read here many time NOT to let the Brisket touch the sides of the cooker or it will burn. I have to say though that I've never run into that problem. Sometimes I do two large briskets, which doesn't allow you to use the "between the handles" method. For the one on the bottom rack, I lay the point and flat on the grate and trail the heel up the inside wall. It will make a mess, as fat runs down the inside wall of the cooker into the bottom bowl and mixes with fallen ash, forming a substance I have yet to find a use for.

I've never cooked a brisket so large on the bottom grate that it touched the sides of the cooker, but if faced with this problem, I would try to squeeze it to shorten it a bit, then pin it to the grate with a couple of wooden skewers through each end. After a few hours of cooking, the brisket will shrink and the skewers can be removed.

I've never done this, but I think it would work.

Regards,
Chris

If I cook a brisket that's too large for the grate, I usually just fold the point under the flat.

When the brisket shrinks, you can turn it over and flatten it out.

Excellent suggestions, but since I don't flip/mop or open the smoker for any reason until the Polder tells me it's done, why are you guys are trying to make more work for me?

Sigh, this will require more adult beverages.....

I might try staking it per Chris' suggestion. I wonder if I can just leave them in there the whole time???????? Will it shrink so much the brisket will tear where it's staked???? Doubt it.

Hmmmm, I saw an 16 pounder at Wal-Mart yesterday...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rick H:
[qb]I lay the point and flat on the grate and trail the heel up the inside wall. It will make a mess, as fat runs down the inside wall of the cooker into the bottom bowl and mixes with fallen ash, forming a substance I have yet to find a use for.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Lye soap?

I've done 'em that big in the WSM-- they work fine. Don't forget, a brisket shrinks a lot during cooking, so even if it starts out a little tight, the meat gets smaller after only a short period of time.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theresa L:
[qb]Lye soap, ha ha, or else........meat scented candle?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>"Brisket Bouquet" by Yankee candle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back