Is Leftover Butt better than straight off the grill?

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
I'd like some input on something that I have noticed. Typically when I smoke a butt (usually Mr. Brown), we will pull it, eat some, and then I will put the rest in gallon zip lock bags and throw in the refridgerator. Over the next week, we will reheat in the microwave and eat some more. If I do more than this, it is typically given to neighbors, friends, etc.

It seems to me that the left over has a more distinct (read better) flavor than the first eating. I don't know if that is because I have been sampling or what, but it does seem that there is a more pronounced smoke flavor. Any way, it is much better the second, third and fourth time to me.

Has anyone else had a similar experience, or am I just dreaming?

Thanks all, and take care.

Absolutely Pat. This has been discussed here before. The consensus is that being around the smoker and being exposed to the smoke for the duration of a long cook has dulled your senses and does not allow you to really taste the full flavor of the meat.

The next day the flavor is more pronounced to you because you have not spent many hours tending to the smoker and picking meat here and there.

Just so you know, I also experience this, doesn't stop me from eating it though.

My barbecue always smells better to me when someone else reheats it and makes themselves a sandwich a few days after cooking.
icon_smile.gif

Regards,
Chris

I guess the test would be to sample someone else's Q when it's hot and then the next day. If you're not involved with the cooking smoke, it wouldn't have a chance to dull your senses.

I volunteer to be your tester.

There's just one problem with your solution, though, Art... if there's cookin' going' on, I can't stand to NOT be involved in it!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri- I hear ya! Drives my wife crazy.

Pat, I'll chime in with a counter point. I absolutely love it that first day. Most of the time, the butts get to rest for several hours before they get pulled. Plenty of time for me to get a shower and get out of the smoke for a while. There are very few things in this world as nice as those freshly pulled nuggets of smoked butt, rich bark, sprinkled w/ a little of the rub dust. I love whatching people try to get their grubby little fingers into the scraps as I'm pulling. Texture of the unchilled meat is superior in my opinion.

Reheating is great, I love eating that too, but given the option of pile of reheated meat vs. a pile of freshly pulled...I'm taking the freshly pulled every time.

I still like it better right off the smoker. Shredded pork dries out quickly after pulling.
Every time I reheat I have to add apple juice
or water or whatever and it's never quite the same to me.
I guess I'm in the minority...

I prefer it fresh alo. I think the meat has a nicer consistency and texture when it's fresh. But I also find more of a pronounced smoke flavor when reheated. Now if I'm the guest and haven't cooked all day then I like the flavor right off the smoker. Bruce was on the money when he explained that your senses are dulled after being around the smoker all day.

Is this not the phenomenona you get when eating leftover stew, or letting salsa (pico de gallo) rest in the fridge, the flavors improve? I think it's called letting the flavors "marry" or something. Of course, stews and salsas are more liquidy than pork butt.

For three weekends in a row, we cooked butts--eleven in all--using Ray Lampe's rub recipe, sliced them about 1/8" thick and put each one in a large foodsaver bag and froze them. What we sampled during the slicing was very good, but I did not think it was wonderful.

At our daughter's wedding reception Saturday, they dropped the bags into boiling water, opened them and served the sliced butt for sandwiches. I thought that it was MUCH BETTER than when we first sliced it and we got many, many compliments on it. The rub and smoke flavors seemed to have permeated throughout the meat and I must admit it was fantastic.

Already bought a couple more which we will probably do the same way, but package in smaller quantities for home use.

Tom

Back