Is it ok to be addicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich P

TVWBB Member
LOL the only reason I say this is because my other half gives me a hard time and always says "how many grills do you need". It all started the beginning of this year when I bought a Brinkman single zone charcoal grill. It is nearly impossible to regulate the temps though in that thing as it sucks sooo much air regardless of vent status. So I found by accident an 18" WSM on craigslist for 20 bucks, never new much about them until I started reading and found this site. So I bought it for 20$$! Made ribs and was hooked! Since I have made butts chicken etc all with excellent results! Then it began, I already had a smokey joe silver I used in my motorhome for trips and loved it. So I found the grey jumbo joe on CL with 2 bags of kingsford and a weber charcoal chimney for 18$ bought it. Then a 18.5" OTS on CL for 15$ and bought it. Then another almost new smokey joe silver for free and got that. My goal is to get a 22.5 performer convert the jumbo to a smoker and get any unique webers I find. Is this normal? Have I lost it? I take pride in q'ing and smoking for family get togethers and family tell me I missed my calling! This drives me even more. I think I may ditch the Brinkman and that will allow me to get more webers without the hassle from the wife!
icon_razz.gif
Someone please tell me Im normal!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Rich, isn't this feeling AWESOME?!

By the way, ear plugs help when silly questions like "how many grills do you need" are asked.

Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Yes, totally normal. My response when asked why do you need all those grills was...Why do you need 25 purses or 100 pair of shoes when you only wear a few of them? Her response was yeah...good point....what other color grills are you gonna get?

You are as sane or insane as the rest of us here. While others complain about the cost of car insurance, gas, etc, etc, etc, we scurry around for deals on charcoal and meat. Sane or insane? I say each to his own. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go buy a chuck roast as I have just one packet of pulled beef in the freezer and lunch will be here before I know it.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary Michael:
Yes, totally normal. My response when asked why do you need all those grills was...Why do you need 25 purses or 100 pair of shoes when you only wear a few of them? Her response was yeah...good point....what other color grills are you gonna get? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG this response is priceless, I cant wait to use it the next time she asks. I just hope I get the same response from her! LOL

When she married me I had a couple of old sports cars. Now I have a deck full of Weber products. Trust me, she considers this an improvement.

Considering that I scored a performer of CL today, this thread is hilarious, because my wife just said, "you bought ANOTHER grill??"

Can't wait to see her reaction when I finally get a WSM and a 26"
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Have I lost it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you have. Welcome to the club.

There were some comments coming my way as well, since I picked up the Genesis and the Performer this summer. All I say is "no motorcycle" and that seems to work.
icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:
Im out of control!!!! LOL I just scored this on CL for 30$ Like brand new with heavy duty weber cover. Was listed as 18.5 but to my surprise upon arrival its actually a 22.5!!!

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/1379532599.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Annapolis is the hidden Weber Gem of Craigslist. I scored my OTP ($25) and Performer ($135 new in box) there.

Rich,welcome to the best asylum in the world! There are a lot worst things you can be addicted to! And,you are helping your family (and the world)out by buying used grills. Keep up the good work recycling,my friend!

Hang in there! The nagging question of "how many grills do you need" from the spouse will end.

But when someone else asks you how many you have and you need to add them up in your head, she will answer for you and most likely be correct!
Don't ask how I know?

Its normal.

My GF found it a bit curious at first. Told her I wanted a collection for our soon to be home, with all different colors and types.

Then i found a weber performer (she likes that). I told her I was going to buy one, used. To soften the blow, I said I was selling my ohter grill (I wasn't going to, but just threw that out there). She said, "how are you going to start a collection if you sell your old grills." Cha ching!

If there is any particular grill she likes, go for the kill!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Rosevear:
When she married me I had a couple of old sports cars. Now I have a deck full of Weber products. Trust me, she considers this an improvement. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

HAHAHAHAHA - John, this is hilarious. Couldn't have said it any better.

I tell the wife that it is better than illegal substances. But She never complains when the food comes off the grill
icon_smile.gif

I actually bought a Jumbo Joe in Fl at a rummage sale. I then had to buy a suitcase at the same sale to bring it up to NJ. (total cost $) The funny part was the airlines did not charge me extra for the suitcase, which they should have. My brother was not so lucky.

My family still teases me about it to this day.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rich P:
Im out of control!!!! LOL I just scored this on CL for 30$ Like brand new with heavy duty weber cover. Was listed as 18.5 but to my surprise upon arrival its actually a 22.5!!!

http://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/1379532599.html </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Annapolis is the hidden Weber Gem of Craigslist. I scored my OTP ($25) and Performer ($135 new in box) there. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My parents live there, I'm going to add a Craigslist RSS from there too. But in response to the original question...the proper reply is just silence, I mean there isn't a rational answer to it, so just enjoy. Having said that, I'm looking for a 22.5 here in Austin and have seen some 18.5 really cheap, am I missing out by holding out for the 22? I've got 4 kids a wife and frankly too many in-laws so even thought the price is great, I'm not sure I want to pull the trigger on an 18.5 if I really need a 22.5....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back