Is a lean bottom sirloin steak a tri tip steak? Picture added.

Bill S.

TVWBB Pro
I started doing whole tri-tips a a few months ago. Recently my wife has been buying these "lean bottom sirloin steaks" about 5 bucks a pound. They're really tender. There's usually 3 smallish (8-10oz) steaks in a pack. The grain and taste remind me a lot of tri-tip. Can 't find an answer on line anywhere. I blacken them in a cast iron pan 4 minutes a side with just kosher salt and pepper. They are a really good steak.

I don't have any idea what cut that might be, but it doesn't sound like a TT. Tris that I get are usually in the 1-2 pound range, and I can't see how you could get a tender steak out of it.

Joe...I don't mean a whole tri-tip steak. Those I've done, in the 2lb range. I'm thinking maybe they are cutting the whole tri-tip length wise down the middle and making steaks out of that. Sound possible?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm thinking maybe they are cutting the whole tri-tip length wise down the middle and making steaks out of that. Sound possible? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They are frequently sold that way in my area in Florida. But they are labeled tri-tip steaks.

In that case, I'd see if they would sell whole ones to me. I intended to do the same at my local Costco (they cut them into strips that were impossible to make tender) but they stopped carrying them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Des.:
In that case, I'd see if they would sell whole ones to me. I intended to do the same at my local Costco (they cut them into strips that were impossible to make tender) but they stopped carrying them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you have Hannafords down your way? They carry them. They just don't keep the whole pieces out front, you have to ask for them.

Here's a pic of a couple I did today. That's an 8-10 inch pan. Steaks about an inch or more thick.

img3333g.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Get over to Philly, NJ, or over toward Wilmington, Jon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My local Wegmans carries TT, but it's now up to $11/lb. Costco was $5-6. So I'm open to suggestions!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill S.:

Do you have Hannafords down your way? They carry them. They just don't keep the whole pieces out front, you have to ask for them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, no.

Trader Joe's. Actually, if you ever go down to Baltimore there are a couple on the west/northwest side. One coming soon to State College.

Locator.

If I remember correctly, a tri-tip is cut from the bottom of the sirloin and your pictures look like your steaks could have been cut from a tri-tip.
I buy tri-tip from Trader Joe's or have my butcher cut it for me.
If I had a safe place to fire it, I'd have one of those grills like they cook tri-tip on in California or they use in Germany, just for a different approach to grilling.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Trader Joe's. Actually, if you ever go down to Baltimore there are a couple on the west/northwest side. One coming soon to State College.

Locator. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Kevin. I had a feeling that's what you were going to say. The Hunt Valley/Towson stores aren't terrible far, so I may have to make a TT run. Too bad I can't stock up on $2 Chuck or TJ's beer in MD, but it's worth it for a good deal on Tri.

I'm not sure what tris are running at TJ's now. I have not picked up any in a while. That said, I am a frequent TJ's shopper. When in Las Vegas I shop there more than any other store.

Kevin, are all TJs about the same size or do some carry more fresh vegetables and meat choices than others, or a greater variety of shelf goods?

What products do you generally shop for at TJ's?

Rita

Not Kevin, but I have been in 3 in the Philly area. The one in Devon, Ardmore, and Philadelphia (Market St.).

They definitely vary in size and that impacts what they carry.

All three have tri tip on a given day. They are all from Australia and typically 1-2lb. Every now and then a 2.5 lb. Heavily trimmed - which is why I don't prefer them. They are just fine though when I'm out of stock from a bulk buy/order. Smaller stores tend to have only the marinated versions. The larger store (Devon) will typically have the plain (blue package) on hand. I prefer the plain.

I've also been to the ones in Boston and Cape Cod. Both vary in footprint and selection as well.

Veggies and everything else also changes by footprint. Again the Devon, PA store is the largest and best for selection. It's my favorite because of that. Ardmore is closer and when I do the food shopping I typically will hit it first before going to the chain.

I see the same pattern with Whole Foods. In my area the Ardmore store is closest, but the Devon store is huge by comparison and has an incredible selection of all products. Meat, fish, prepared foods, fish, meat, seafood veggies, etc.

Store size can vary but not so much that it affects product offering, ime. Some states disallow alcohol sales in anything other than liquor stores, others restrict liquor or wine sales but not beer. In those states those TJ's do not sell alcohol, or perhaps beer only.

I buy all dairy (milk, organic or non, eggs, organic or non, butter, organic or non, heavy cream - their organic is great), all cheeses, much produce (I am a huge fan of their Brussels sprouts on the stalk), almond butter, jams, some coffee, evoo, vinegars, breakfast cereals (I like them better and they are much less), breads, dry pastas, basmati and jasmine rices, b/s chicken breasts and other pieces (whole chickens I buy elsewhere - I like chicken <3 lbs), bone-in turkey breast halves, tri-tip, rack of lamb, some lunch meats, canned diced tomatoes and canned beans for hummus), several wines - just to name some of the stuff that are my usual purchases.

I buy a lot from Trader Joe's. Like most of their cookies and dried fruits and some of their bakery & pizza dough. I know the local bakery that supplies a lot of it & TJ's price is about 75% of what the bakery charges. I like their fish - I don't always have access to fresh and sometimes question how fresh what I see is. Almost all of TJ's fish is wild caught from a sustainable fishery - I've never gotten a bad piece. I buy my charcoal briquettes there - still believe that they are made by Rancher. When my TJ's first started to carry charcoal it actually came in Rancher bags.

Was just in the news a week or so ago that we're getting one in the Albany area. What's the deal with them?

and canned beans for hummus </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin,
Would you mind sharing how you make hummus? I've assumed it to be easy (chick peas in a food processor), but I'm guessing not quite that simple. Maybe post something in the recipe area? Thanks.

Back