Is 2-zone cooking easier on the newer N-S burners than the old E-W style? How about searing?

If it's "shiny" usually indicates coated, also look for what appear to be paint chips. Giveaways.

Both my Gen 2000 and E320 have uncoated CI and I really like the way they cook. Nothing against SS but I prefer CI even if it does require more maintenace than SS.

If it's "shiny" usually indicates coated, also look for what appear to be paint chips. Giveaways.

I'm 99% sure my BGE grate is cast iron without porcelain coating as they never mention porcelain anywhere. This grate completely rusted one time I left it out in the rain, but it cleaned up well.

I think the grates on my E330 are porcelain coated, but I cannot see any difference between the BGE cast iron and the grates on the E330.

I'm curious, can the porcelain be sanded off?

Last edited:
Can somebody give me a crash course in CI grate care? Clean right after cooking while it's still hot, then spray it with a light coat of oil?

I'm going to stick with the CI for at least a week or 2 until I decide whether to drop $140 on the solid rod SS grates or get the channel-formed SS ones for $60. Definitely leaning toward the cheaper option for now.

Smart choice to just cook on them.

I don't do anything special to care for mine. I cook on them. I clean them with heat. If its a really messy cook I crank it up on high and set a timer for 10 min.

Otherwise I preheat them, scrub them with a SS wire brush, even though I've been told and read not to. sometimes I'll rub some leftover oil on them with a paper towel. Sometimes I'll spray them with non-stick cooking spray if I'm cooking something that is likely to stick.

Sometimes I'll clean and re-season them with a raw onion. I save the ends and just rub them on the grill when its hot. The onion leaves behind a non-stick coating.

In all fairness, it is pretty dry where I live so I don't have moisture inside the grill very often.

I'm 99% sure my BGE grate is cast iron without porcelain coating as they never mention porcelain anywhere. This grate completely rusted one time I left it out in the rain, but it cleaned up well.

I think the grates on my E330 are porcelain coated, but I cannot see any difference between the BGE cast iron and the grates on the E330.

I'm curious, can the porcelain be sanded off?
I had one of those BGE cast iron grates. They did not have porcelain coating. The first coated ones Weber sold for the Genesis and also at some point for the Q series had a smooth, shiny black coating. Looked great in the pictures (I loved the ads with fully cooked food on unused new grates :LOL:) and on display in the stores. It cleaned up easily for those first few cooks. But it didn't take long for the porcelain to crack and peel off - on your food if you weren't careful!

I just junked 3 or 4 sets of these grates that I had been saving for the day when I had so much time on my hands that I would be willing to take the time to use some kind of grinder stone and remove the porcelain - at least on the cooking surfaces. It never came, so good riddance!

More recently, some coated cast iron has a rough, brown finish. I am sure this will also come off, but it does seem more durable and not as susceptible to peeling. These LOOK a lot like uncoated. I bet your E330 has these.

Weber made uncoated cast iron way back in the early Genesis days. I have 2 or 3 sets. You can tell them by the patent mark on the back:

Weber Uncoated Cast Iron with Patent.jpeg

They are also much heavier than new Weber cast iron.

Can somebody give me a crash course in CI grate care? Clean right after cooking while it's still hot, then spray it with a light coat of oil?

I'm going to stick with the CI for at least a week or 2 until I decide whether to drop $140 on the solid rod SS grates or get the channel-formed SS ones for $60. Definitely leaning toward the cheaper option for now.
Jon has some stamped SS grates. For the price they are hard to pass up. You might get a set as a backup for the CI in the wet season.

Last edited:

Back